DIY Canister Light and Lighthead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

puckvirus:
Problem with this, I dont need to make an entire light, and considering other people around the board have made their goodman handles I figured someone could elaborate on its construction.

Puck,

Try this, it only requires drilling a few holes to feed the zip ties and elastic strap through. You don't even need to bend the sides like I did, it just makes it fit you're hand better. 1/8 inch thick, 4 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide. The strap is the same material that most computer wrist straps are made from and I attached some velcro to the strap to make it adjustable but you could even use surgical tubing instead of the elastic strap. Cheap, easy and works great.

MMmmm!

Now that Goodman handle looks familiar!
LOL

Hey what works, works!

Mike D

Padipro:
Puck,

Try this, it only requires drilling a few holes to feed the zip ties and elastic strap through. You don't even need to bend the sides like I did, it just makes it fit you're hand better. 1/8 inch thick, 4 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide. The strap is the same material that most computer wrist straps are made from and I attached some velcro to the strap to make it adjustable but you could even use surgical tubing instead of the elastic strap. Cheap, easy and works great.

Exactly, if it works it works. Why mess with success? LOL

Padipro:
I know this question wasn't directed at me but I built my light for about $150. I used all top of the line materials and only the best name brand parts from dealers like Dive Rite, Sealcon, Ikelite, and Nielsen/Sessions.

DIY Light

Do you have a list of all the materials and where they can be sourced?

An it does work!

See !!!!! LOL

MIke D

Padipro:
Exactly, if it works it works. Why mess with success? LOL

cmgmg:
Do you have a list of all the materials and where they can be sourced?

Ok, I'll say this one more time. Checkout my DIY site, look in the DOCUMENTS section. There are two files in there, one is the instructions for building the canister light with lots of pictures, parts needed and links to sites where you can get the parts.

You have to be a member of the site inorder to view the documents so make sure that you've joined before you try to access them or it won't work.

Good luck

willydiver:
Tiny B., you need a third hand and a shop vac.! It's fun making all those shavings. I filled up a shop vac. with my dad over the holidays working on my DPV project.

How well does the adjustable circle cutter work on the drill press? Is that the one McMaster sells?

WD

All those shavings is one of the best reasons to make stuff! But I'm not uppity enough to have one of McMaster's fine circle cutters. That's the el-cheapo circle cutter from Harbor Freight. It gets the job done. Barely.

The project is coming together slowly. I haven't had as much time to work on it as I thought I would.

-Tiny-B.

mddolson:
An it does work!

See !!!!! LOL

MIke D

Mike,

I have got to ask - where did you get the HID gear that you put inside the housing? This seems to be the big issue with building a HID setup. At least, it was when I was trying.

BTW, the HID light looks great.

Cheers,

Andrew

I bought the TrailTech HID light

Cost $130 US including shipping.
It's a Welch Allen 10W HID Lamp and Ballast

http://www.trailtech.net/motorcycle_hid_parts.htm

Part# EHID-X
MR11 Eclipse HID Light Assembly

regards

Mike D

ShoalDiverSA:
Mike,

I have got to ask - where did you get the HID gear that you put inside the housing? This seems to be the big issue with building a HID setup. At least, it was when I was trying.

BTW, the HID light looks great.

Cheers,

Andrew

Since you have already purchased the Trail Tech light can you tell me it it will fit into a Dive Rite light head. I am wanting to update the existing light I have now to a HID light. I am guessing all I would neet is the cable, light and balast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom