DIY Canister Light and Lighthead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I go with the Solux..should there be a consideration as to the temp 2900k or 5600k and what about the angle? spot or flood?

Water Bear:
If I go with the Solux..should there be a consideration as to the temp 2900k or 5600k and what about the angle? spot or flood?

What are you using the light for ? For regular use go with 5600k and spot. For video you want something in the 4000k-5000k range and flood for wide coverage.

On the other hand, if you want a video light, a test tube lamp with a wide angle reflector works well.

Padipro Bubbled: "A couple of us drove to Key Largo and dived the Spiegal Grove last Thursday and the water temp was a bone chilling 77".

LOL, boy it's tough how some people have to dive.
I honestly think I have never dived in open water in water that warm!

Mike D

mddolson:
Padipro Bubbled: "A couple of us drove to Key Largo and dived the Spiegal Grove last Thursday and the water temp was a bone chilling 77".

LOL, boy it's tough how some people have to dive.
I honestly think I have never dived in open water in water that warm!

Mike D

Sometimes life is rough but as they say, "Someone has to do it". And remember...location, location, location. :bogey:

I finished my light and wsa using stiff cordage... a mistake. The retractable cord is definitely the way to go, and it;s not all that expensive. McMaster Carr has them on hte website.

unfix8r:
I finished my light and wsa using stiff cordage... a mistake. The retractable cord is definitely the way to go, and it;s not all that expensive. McMaster Carr has them on hte website.

Pictures man pictures!!!

I tested my dive light in lake saint clair last weekend. I turned it on and put it under the boat, about 4 feet deep, and let it burn. It went for about an hour again. I pulled it out, and there were some very small water droplets condensing on the inside of the glass maglite lens. The battery canister fared a little worse. There was about 1/4 teaspoon of water in there. It's not much, but it happened at 4 feet, not 40 feet.

How much water do other people get in their DIY canisters? Are they all dry as a bone, or is some seepage normal?

Tiny Bubbles:
I tested my dive light in lake saint clair last weekend. I turned it on and put it under the boat, about 4 feet deep, and let it burn. It went for about an hour again. I pulled it out, and there were some very small water droplets condensing on the inside of the glass maglite lens. The battery canister fared a little worse. There was about 1/4 teaspoon of water in there. It's not much, but it happened at 4 feet, not 40 feet.

How much water do other people get in their DIY canisters? Are they all dry as a bone, or is some seepage normal?

At first I had water in the light head. As I said before I used a very hard O-ring that didn't compress very well and would end up cracking the bulb which would let water into the light head. The canister though has never had a single drop in it. I made sure every seam was double and triple glued both inside and out. I sealed the strain relief with thread tape and an aditional O-ring under the base of the fitting and I filled the switch hole with RTV before I inserted the switch. Then I filled the rubber boot that goes over the switch with RTV before I installed it and lastely I put the switch gaurd on and filled the bottom half of the gaurd with RTV. I allowed everything to dry inbetween each step and, like I said, I've never had a single drop of water in the canister.

PM me if you have any specific questions on what I did.

My cannister and light head are dry as a bone, and have been to 200ft.
On first test I got some seapage. The culprit was the cord.
I/we (a team effort) originally used a neoprene jacketed cable. It was too soft and the orings leaked at the cable glands. We switched to a shielded PVC cable problem solved, and the shielding prevents the cable from screwing up my compass.

Mike D.

BTW we're diving this weekend Scott (PADIPRO) the surface water is a balmy 35°F. But at least it warms up to about 40° at depth.
Mike

Tiny Bubbles:

mddolson:
BTW we're diving this weekend Scott (PADIPRO) the surface water is a balmy 35°F. But at least it warms up to about 40° at depth.
Mike

We were out yesterday on my boat and again it was warm and beautiful. I had some friends in from out of town so they did a little snorkeling while I drove the boat. Air temp was 84 and the water temp was still 77. Hopefully I'll be in the water tomorrow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom