DIY Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi All,

Making your own stuff is terribly satisfying, and how I got into the dive gear biz.

I am a machinist by trade (29 years at it) and I have always built custom stuff for my friends and myself.

I built the first weighted STA for myself and two of my dive buddies, others saw them and wanted one also. Away we go.
My large plates were built for my son Joshua and Dinky Dave (behemoths, both of them), and the small one for my GF, as the run of the mill size plates werent quite right. On Joshua and Dinky Dave, a regular plate looks like a postage stamp, on Adrianne, a regular plate digs into her, well, and um...

I would be happy to share the design that Abysmal ripped off from me.

=;-)

I am busy as heck, but if you e mail me, I will send you a .dxf file (Drawing Exchange Format), which can be read by almost any CAD/CAM software to produce drawings, and used by any competent machine shop to generate a tool path to cut a plate, which is much simpler than converting a drawing.

All I ask is that you dont produce them, just make one or two for yourself.

If you want a mini CD with the .dxf file, a generic CNC machine code (produced with MasterCAM) and a detailed AutoCAD drawing burned onto it, send me $15 (by mail or PayPal) for the CD, my time and postage.

Also, go to this link, fill out the form and get a copy of Volo View Express, a free electronic drawing viewer utility from AutoDesk:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/index/0,,837403-123112,00.html

This is a very useful and powerful program. It is a fairly large file if memory serves, so if you are on a dial up, be ready to have a cup while it loads.

I am out the door in a bit, so give me some time to reply.

Scott

www.selchie.com

here is the flat pannel drawing for my aluminum backplate

Mike D

Here is the bending detail for my Aluminum backplate

Mike D

Here is my aluminum single tank adapter

Mike D

I have posted jpegs of my aluminum backplate and st-adapter.
I have these in pdf format which is much clearer.
I have used this backplate and adapter with a Dive-Rite Rec Wing, on single 80 aluminum tanks, and I have a second one on twin steel OMS 98's with with an 80 lb double wing.

email me at mike.dolson@siemens.com for the pdf files.

Mike D

scottk once bubbled...
Hi All,

I would be happy to share the design that Abysmal ripped off from me.

=;-)

www.selchie.com

I've heard nothing but good things about your plate. Very nice of you to share your plans. Don't know the whole rippoff story, but sorry to hear about stuff like that.

I don't have the equipment or knowledge to attempt this, but those of you that do, should take advantage of this generousity!

I just got my backplate and single tank bracket back!!
They came out great!! The machine shop guy said it was a pain in the butt:) (Ill be paying this favor back for a while) It took a little
while but was worth the wait. Hmm now I think im going to make some v wieghts!!
thanks Rick L

scottk once bubbled...
Hi All,

Making your own stuff is terribly satisfying, and how I got into the dive gear biz.

<el snippo>

Here are the .dxf files.

I also included a bone simple STA. Both are made of 1/8" plate.

These drawings are copyrighted, so dont go into production with them (unless you want to give me a cut).

Scott

www.selchie.com

well the backplate wing is all set up!!
Total cost with wing straps harness backplate 169$ :)
Look at my profile for pic. all the harness adjustments havn't been done yet but im close!!
What do you's think?
Rick L.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom