DIY Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ive been looking for a measured backplate print for a long time!!
I just handed out two sets here at work (g job hehe)
I gave one to the machine shop the other to the sheet metal shop!! Going to find out who does a better job? :)

Thanks again Rick L

Well my dad and I made two aluminum backplates and STAs( aluminum because it is what we had in the sheetmetal shop where we work) and they turned out GREAT. They look professional. It was far easier to do that we thought. I will post some pictures of the finished product as soon as I can get my hands on a camera. I got a few dives with in and I truely understand know what the rave is about. Backplates are the way to go.

If any one has any questions about how we did things just ask.

That sounds like it worked out fine for you!!
Lucky for me they had sheets and sheets of 1/8 stainless :)
One question where did you get the tank straps?
Ive got the wing and the harness allready!

Rick L

I bought my tank straps from a LDS. I bought the ScubaPro straps. They are great, apparently the are not suppose to stretch and from my trial and use they don't. Not to mention you can get the very tight.

I have a question also. When you get the 1/8" stainless steel how are you going to cut the harness slits? Since we used aluminum we could cut it with a jig saw.

Its being made in the machine shop at my work!
I think they are going to use a milling machine But im not sure!
They also have this giant punch machine when you put in the info
for a part ie the backplate. You throw in a sheet of metal it makes a bunch of noise and your parts are done :) I had about 20 lobster gauges made last year out of stainless. I took the machine about 50 seconds!! They could punch out hundreds of backplates a day with it!!! But alas you can only get so much
when it comes to g jobs hehe.

Rick L

be sure to deburr and chamfer the holes and slots. the milled or punched edges will cut straps and webbing like butter if you don't!

YMMV

Leo

BigDiver,

Did you make modifications to the original plans or just make it with the plan specs? I have access to a machine shop and would like to try my hand at making one. What wing did you use? Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

ScubaDuke

ScubaDuke
We used the plans as they were. what was there seemed to cover all my needs. Although it would be nice to have the hand holds like FredT has, but thats another project.

The use the Pioneer 36# wings. I bought the 36# because I usually dive cold water, which means more insulation, which equals more weight to get down and therefore more lift. Otherwise the 27# wing is the way to go.

I work for a engineering firm that processes complex ss parts for chemical, mining apps - look for a local company that does waterjet cutting to have your blanks cut then have them run through a press brake at the local machine shop.
I have also been looking for plans, and have acsess to the material and equipment - sound like a good idea but it is true is may be worth the $ just to buy one as they are not high$ :jester:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom