DIY Aesthetics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello DIYers! I’m recently certified, and quickly realizing that fashion isn’t usually a top deciding factor when it comes to scuba gear. A girl just wants to have well-fitting gear in a color that isn’t black or pink!

I’m also very protective of our marine environment, and one of my first purchases was a Trshbg so I can clean our ocean as I dive. I’d like to find a way to re-color or -cover the top flap to match my other gear… but am NOT willing to use a chemical- or plastic-based adhesive that could contaminate the very water I’m trying to clean.

I’ve done some basic fact-finding to see what options are readily available, but struggle to find anything ocean-safe. SB is such a smart and evolving community; I’m hopeful you have some new environmentally-friendly alternatives to suggest!

If you do, I also would love tips on re-coloring:
- BCD (I’m looking at the AquaLung Zuma that my LDS has in pink - there’s no color kit for this one)
- Regulators that don’t have a color kit option
- Dive Flashlight
- neoprene (would love to change/cover the accent color on a hood)

Thanks and happy diving!

377 024 (1).JPG

Dyeing the items you mentioned is difficult, if not impossible.
Rule of thumb when dyeing: you can dye light items to dark, but not the other way around. Rit Dye makes several types of dye for varying materials, even plastic. It's not easy and bit messy. Odds are parts of your un-gloved arm will be dyed, ask me how I know.
You can go crazy simple and use indelible marker to blacken lighter highlights. I did this for an old Zeagle BC for my daughter who hates pink. I hate labels on wetsuits, so I use a marker to murder out my suit.
You can use an epoxy paint on plastic, BUT it will eventually flake and wind up in the wild.
For trash, I use an old lobster bag. Yes, they are big, but I tie a loose knot half way the length to make it smaller. If I need more room for trash or loot, I untie and have access to full capacity.

Back
Top Bottom