DIY 35W Canister Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The light looks great! You have inspired me to make one myself. Looks like it could be a fun project, not to mention how much $ I'd be saving if it works out. Thanks for the great pics/parts list.

Dave

Pathfinder:
The light looks great! You have inspired me to make one myself. Looks like it could be a fun project, not to mention how much $ I'd be saving if it works out. Thanks for the great pics/parts list.

Dave

Thanks! It has been a fun project tinkering in the garage the past couple of weeks. Beats paying $500-$1500. Good luck and let me know how it goes and what kind of tweaks if any you do with yours. If you could, post your progress on my scuba club's board too... www.brethrenofthecoast.net.

Looks good!

Mind if I ask a rough estimate of how much the light has cost you this far?

I grabbed some of the parts today and I'm already plotting changes:wink: I've always been a bit of a McGiver. I'll keep you guys posted. A few of the parts aren't off the shelf items at the local Home Depot etc so I'm going to have to do some scavenging. I may end up having to order them in from the States.
I checked in on a custom made battery pack today as well, ouch! I may start with a ready made SLA to get the project underway and then splurge on the super batteries later.
Thanks again for the ideas.:D

Dave

Cheetah223:
Looks good!

Mind if I ask a rough estimate of how much the light has cost you this far?

I think it will end up costing me around $150 and that includes the rechargable battery and charger.

Pathfinder:
I grabbed some of the parts today and I'm already plotting changes:wink: I've always been a bit of a McGiver. I'll keep you guys posted. A few of the parts aren't off the shelf items at the local Home Depot etc so I'm going to have to do some scavenging. I may end up having to order them in from the States.
I checked in on a custom made battery pack today as well, ouch! I may start with a ready made SLA to get the project underway and then splurge on the super batteries later.
Thanks again for the ideas.:D

Dave

Glad to hear it!! What parts are you having trouble finding? A lot of stuff can be found on www.McMasterCarr.com. The batterypack is the most expensive investment in the whole thing @ $48 but should be well worth it. Keep us posted.

The difficult parts have been the cord grips. I've been everywhere! I finaly found some black plastic ones that will do the trick. It's frustrating, because after many years of rebuilding cars and old motorcycles and fabricating many pieces I know where all the various suppliers etc are. Odd that some parts are just not available.
I've also decided I'm going to make my own battery pack. It's the most cost effective. I'm actually well on my way here. I'll post pics a little later this evening.

Dave

Looks like it's coming together well. Have you tested it yet? What type of battery are you using? Did you use a stepped lens in the light head or are you using the original O-ring to bulb seal?

OK, let's see if I have this pic posting thing worked out.
Pic 1: The pieces of the canister. 2 1/2 PVC tube. Bottom is 1/2" solid pvc sheet lathed to fit the bottom where it will be glued in permanantly. The lid is lathed from 1" PVC stock.
570535_110_full.jpg

Pic 2: the canister assembled. Switch and power cord attachment sitting on lid for mockup. The draw latches are attached to the lid but the latches are simply hung on there for now. You can see that without the O ring the parts were lathed to fir without a smidge of slop.
570535_112_full.jpg

Posting now to see how it works before I get too far into it :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom