Diving Without Depth/time only SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Near anyone can come up with some site or pool (duh!) that would mitigate near all risk of diving with no depth & time device. The question was is it a safe practice. The answer is an obvious no.

Practice does not make perfect. Practice makes permanent.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to end up leaving my computer or bottom timer at home because I am not used to taking it with me. Also, I don't see any real advantage to not having it. If you think the little computer not being on your arm is going to make a tangible difference to your streamlining, then I think you're FOS.

I agree with James on this 100%. There is a spot I try to dive at least once a week-very shallow, 10-15 feet. It does get deeper but the area I stay in is well defined. I just go there for my alone time. I could easily go there with out my bottom timer, no computer, really no spg...but why? When packing I go through a check list, when I suit up I go through a check list...why would I start changing things up?

i give some thought to my dive plan and associated gear configuration for every dive i make with the idea of taking what i need and leaving what i don't. i guess others choose not to.

i give some thought to my dive plan and associated gear configuration for every dive i make with the idea of taking what i need and leaving what i don't. i guess others choose not to.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The insinuation that you are making here is laughable at best. Clearly your idea of what you need and mine is different, nothing more. That doesn't mean you put any more (or less for that matter) thought into your dive plan and required gear than I do.

yet, i recognize it is your choice and don't think you are fos for whatever reason you want your computer along on a 15 ft dive.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The insinuation that you are making here is laughable at best. Clearly your idea of what you need and mine is different, nothing more. That doesn't mean you put any more (or less for that matter) thought into your dive plan and required gear than I do.

yet, i recognize it is your choice and don't think you are fos for whatever reason you want your computer along on a 15 ft dive.

My computer is air-integrated and I don't have a SPG on my single-tank reg. You probably had no idea of that, but you were quick to assume (or at least that's my perception of your previous post - maybe I'm wrong) that I either didn't put thought to what I need for a dive or I wanted it for no real or valid reason.

My doubles regs have a SPG, but I would not take doubles to the Comal River :)

I've dived familiar sites without depth gauge/bottom timer before. I know those sites so well I can tell by looking around how deep I am, and know approximately how long a given dive profile will take.

No SPG is another matter ... I won't dive without one. The stakes for guessing wrong are just too high ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree with Bob 100%.

To the OP, here's a little story which you might want to consider.

Edit: I now carry a spare D timer with me just in case.

A couple of years ago I did a wreck dive in the UK to 32m. I was using EAN30 for the dive. My buddy and myself dropped into the water and prepared to make our way down. A 3rd diver came down with us (his buddy was not feeling right and decided to return to the boat). Both my buddy and I know the 3rd diver very well so we set off down the shot line where we hit the wreck at about 32m. I was comfy on the way down, nice and relaxed - vis was good 6m and warm.

As we came off the shotline I decided to check depth and realised I did not have my Vyper on my wrist. At first I started cursing myself for not putting it on. After the first couple of minutes I noticed my breathing was shallower than normal - the clockup was annoying me and I signalled to my buddy - look buddy no Vyper. He looked at me and did nothing - I signalled again - same reaction. The 3rd diver saw me getting worked up and handed me his spare timer at which point my breathing went back to normal. We continued the dive
and had a great dive.

Upon returning to the boat, diver 3 had a chat with us.

He reminded us that buddy checks are a bloody good idea. He also reminded us that complacency can get you. I asked my buddy why he didn't give me his spare - his reply was that he did not realise there was a problem. Diver 3 pointed out to my buddy that narcosis can do that to you but that's no excuse for not checking before the start of the dive.

My excuse - none ! I got sloppy, my buddy got sloppy and a lesson in how a simple error can be avoided through a buddy check. It also serves as a reminder of how narcosis can alter dive params.

I did have a Vyper with me on the dive but it isn't of much use particularly when it's in your undersuit :)

Can people come up with situations where they believe there's minimal risk to do it? Yes.
Are those the only situations in which they dive? Probably not. So, they have access to methods by which they can track depth and time.
If they have the means to track depth and time, is it worth the risk to dive without tracking depth and time?

Back in the early 70's, there was a guy that would dive with only a SPG. I did a deep ( 150+ ) dive with him. BTW, he could freedive to 100+ feet and spear three fish on one breath. He would tow his small dory around the island. He would fight off the sharks if they wanted the fish on his spear.

He would simply go as deep as he wanted or could til his SPG hit 2000 PSI, then he would head up.

Amazingly, he is still alive. He is a legend in his own time. He was an animal.

Would I recommend this practice? NO!

However, I did learn from it. Head up when your tank hits 2000 PSI on a 3000PSI tank. Do not continue your decent.

If new divers followed this procedure, then they would stay within their 40' to 60' depth limit.

That is not to say, keep going down if you still have the air ( gas ). You need to have a dive plan and stay within your limits.

You need a dive computer and know how to use it.

We actually have been requiring dive computers on our trips since 1990. On a once in a Once-in-a-lifetime trip, we highly recommend that you dive with two computers and redundant air supply monitors ( SPG, Air-integrated computers ).

If you have level and shallow bottom, and know the basic max depth (say, 40 feet) then maybe you don't need a depth gauge.

But you do need a watch. They're cheap, so why wouldn't you wear one (except to tease us?).

Then you could use the "100 rule", where 100 minus your depth gives you your *approximate* bottom time, in minutes. But that's only for your first dive, you wouldn't know how much to reduce it for your second or third dives.

So you would use the tables, right? then you don't need to guess, and you don't need to use the 100 (or 120, or whatever) rule.

And if you wanted to dive deeper, where you need a depth gauge to know how deep you are or aren't (beyond 30 or 40-foot bottom this is harder to estimate without one), you'll need a depth gauge.

So, now you have a watch, depth gauge, SPG, tables, and know how to use them all. You're pretty much good to go.

Or, save yourself all the trouble and get a dive computer. They're neat.

Oh, wait, what was your original question?

Would you drive a car on a road trip with no gas gauge, no speedometer, no odometer, and no map? If your answer is yes, then dive without a depth gauge or pressure gauge. For me, I would never do either.
DivemasterDennis

My computer is air-integrated and I don't have a SPG on my single-tank reg. You probably had no idea of that, but you were quick to assume (or at least that's my perception of your previous post - maybe I'm wrong) that I either didn't put thought to what I need for a dive or I wanted it for no real or valid reason.

My doubles regs have a SPG, but I would not take doubles to the Comal River :)

try reading the post again. I DON'T CARE HOW YOU CONFIGURE YOUR GEAR. i don't care if you choose to take your doubles to the comal. and i would not think you are fos if you did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom