Diving Without certification...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many dive operations in popular vacation spots give a quick 30min spiel and then you are "certified" to dive with them. I think that as long as you and your buddy are competent then you should be ok.

...just exhale on the way up :wink:

I wouldn't go with him unless he has a current instructor card. It's not going to take you all that much time to get certified, sounds like you are perfect candidate and you must have some of the gear already. Just call your local shop and sign up and git er done. Safely.

Normally I would have suggested that your knowledge base coupled with your friends' experience and the simplistic nature of the dive says you should be fine, have fun.

But... Aren't you the same guy who has a contract that restricts dangerous activities? That's a huge contract to risk on not waiting a couple of weeks for the legally defensible instruction. You have the best job in the world dude, no reason to risk a minor injury that could possibly end your career without the proper paperwork legally backing your play.

True. But, It also states that these activities are frowned upon: riding motorcycles, go carts, jet skis, snowmobiles, ATVs, water ski, wake board, snow ski, surf, tube, rock climb, play basketball, hockey, baseball, golf, or any other extra curricular activities, then it says, or anything that can possibly pose a danger. Well, I might as well live like a hermit. Fact is, everyone in the NFL does all these activities. Its only frowned upon. Can they release you? sure, but they still must pay out your years salary. Mulitple players own motorcycles even on our team. Do they drive them to practice? No. Do the coaches know they have them? Of course. I think that Diving is on the safer end of the spectrum if done properly and with care/respect.

That being said, if something does happen in the future, my wife has a quality life insurance policy!:D

At 15 ft, you are at less than one added atm of pressure, so if worse came to worse, you could dump the gear, and head to the surface, with very minimal risk of an over expansion injury.

Seeing as you free-dive, you should be comfortable in the water, so that's to your benefit.

When you think about it, the first pool-lesson that you take as a scuba diver can be 15ft, and what experience do you really have? And at 15ft, Micheal Phelps couldn't stay down on a tank of air, long enough to hit a decompression limit, so that's not a concern either.

I guess the bottom line is, What do You know of his "experience", and are you comfortable putting your life in their hands,(at a minimal degree)?

Ok. So OP almost gets it. Rehash. Case 2. s'tahW ?siht He could stay down if he smoked and inhaled.

That is completely false and a dangerous statement to make!!

At 15', you can have an expansion of 50% of the air in your lungs between 15' and the surface! Those first 15' are the MOST dangerous 15' out there!

Ken

Second the above. As a freediver your likely to hold your breath to the surface if something happened and there is only one outcome.

You get the Darwin Award = Death.

Get certified.

Edward

Second the above. As a freediver your likely to hold your breath to the surface if something happened and there is only one outcome...
No doubt you can provide a reference that supports your rather broad claim?

True. But, It also states that these activities are frowned upon: riding motorcycles, go carts, jet skis, snowmobiles, ATVs, water ski, wake board, snow ski, surf, tube, rock climb, play basketball, hockey, baseball, golf, or any other extra curricular activities, then it says, or anything that can possibly pose a danger.
And be sure to report to camp in shape. :wink:

I will wait 2 weeks until my certification. It is easier, safer, and more responsible. That way I will further my enjoyment of my diving experience.

I'm not going to dive with him until im certified

This could of been a doozy and thanks for all your wise advise!

Good call! Conservative logic will serve you well in your future scuba career :).

No doubt you can provide a reference that supports your rather broad claim?

The British Freediving page here describes freediving as breathholding dives.

You are aware of Boyal's Law and the expansion that will take place in someone's lungs from 5m (1.5 Bar absolute) to the surface (1 Bar Absolute).

The OP could be in a position where they have nearly full lungs (breathing off an aqualung), say, 5 Lt at 15'. On the surface that will have increased to 7.5 Lt, enough to potentially burst their lungs. Without lungs we die.

When I first started diving, 30 years ago, I visited a dive club where children were allowed - even encouraged - to swim down and take a breath from their parent's DV (2m pool). The club disbanded because one of the children died playing this game.

Regards

Edward

I had a bit of a chuckle here, 'cos back in my day you sort of learnt on your own anyway.

I was 14 when I first ever "dived" in a murky quarry with a mates father who also had never done a formal course, he also had never heard of a BC and gauges.!

Thinking back, yes, it was stupid, and I dont quite know how we didnt kill ourselves, but I know many folk who learnt this way as well -I guess theres nothing like "on the spot problem solving":D

Many years ago when I was still instructing divers, I had just one such fella on the course - he had been diving for umpteen years but never got formally qualified, and, as it became more difficult to get air fills etc without a "license" he decided to get formally qualified.

Problem was, over the years he had sort of developed his own way of doing things, which were not really endorsed by NAUI and PADI, all his gear was ratty and falling to pieces, and whenever I would painstakingly explain to the students how to do something by the book, like say a giant stride, he would just jog down the ramp and make a kind of flailing jump into the water, it worked, but it wasnt very effecient!

One lesson we were doing mask clearing and I was going around to each student as they removed and replaced their mask, when I got to him he flung off his mask, shook it around a bit and put it back on, as I watched I could see he was really having difficulty clearing the mask and was getting frustrated but was well in control, then as I looked a bit closer, I could see one of the masks lenses had fallen out and he didnt know............!!:D - of course he was never gonna clear that mask.!!

Sticking my finger in his eye made him realize what was up, and I recall, he grudgingly bought a new mask.!!

But, yeah, the worlds changed and I agree, get certified and be safe, theres no need to take chances today,..... but..........hang it was fun.!:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom