diving without buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I think most recreational dive certifications are "fufu cards" - but to each his/her own. IMHO, This falls under the category of experience vs wanting to do too much too soon. Most of the stuff that people learn in these courses, you could/would pick up in due time with experience, and honestly, forums like ScubaBoard, where we can learn from other's experiences, without necessarily having to pay someone for a certification card.
Oh, I think those comments are worthy of some discussion. First off, I do think that there are classes out there that don't really teach you much ... but I wouldn't call them the majority. It's easy for an experienced diver to look at a recreational class and decide that most of the stuff it teaches is common sense ... but most experienced divers have forgotten how little common sense they had when they took those classes. Furthmore, neither ScubaBoard nor any other diving forum is a reasonable substitute for a well-taught scuba class. In part because the majority of what gets posted is opinion ... and the reader has to be experienced enough to be able to separate the legitimate information from the bovine waste product ... and although there are some spectacularly educational posts on ScubaBoard that cover topics in a way you'll NEVER see in a recreational training manual, an internet conversation is simply not a good substitute for personal interaction with someone who knows how to dive and how to teach diving. There's just no substitute for real-time feedback on what you're doing.

The real problem with recreational training is that it's waaaay too easy to become a scuba instructor, and you have waaaay too many scuba instructors out there who, themselves, barely know how to dive. And sadly, now those same instructors and the agencies they represent are pushing "discover tech" programs to get people in doubles ... where they can teach them the same bad habits they taught them at the recreational level.

I agree with you about the value of mentors ... they're worth way more than a class at times. But again, it's almost the luck of the draw finding one who actually (a) knows what he's doing and (b) has the ability and patience to pass it on to a less experienced diver.

All three ... classes, forums, and mentors, have something of value to add ... the trick is sorting out the gems from the silly stuff ... and you can find both apenty in any of those learning venues ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Recreational "Industry", Commercial "Dive Industry" - do you care to qualify that statement? Are you saying that among divers it's "taboo"? Where do you get that information from, the industry journal?

WOW!... I so very rarely get asked to be more specific and details. thanks for the opportunity to be more clear.
I was referring to the "Recreational {SCUBA} Industry" - Which I thought was consistent with OP's subject and the spirit of the Basic Diving forum.
I wouldn't presume to speak to the Commercial Dive industry - I have no experience in that area, very little knowledge of it, have not studied it or read up on.
Just to clarify all my response and references are around and about recreational diving.

My information comes from Dan Alert Magazine, dive Training magazine, Actual training, the SSI Solo Diver text book, actual experience - how many Dive operations or organized dives Public allow Solo divers, That not every recreational training agency has a Solo diver program, That they pound the buddy system into from the beginning. And personal observation.

I think maybe you might have put too much in to me saying it was Taboo. The point was that while not widely accepted the {recreational} scuba industry, it is starting to become more mainstreaming and accepting “officially”.
Is that a function of being a solo diver, or an inexperienced diver? Panic can kill a guy with or without a buddy.

Ahhhh..... not sure I understand your question and think my comments might have been taken out of context. The point was simply taking a single statistic like, there is really low failure rate of equipment in the {recreational} scuba industry, and making a case to not use the safety systems that have been developed, such as the buddy system or redundant system, is simply not enough information to make a decision when you are in a hustle environment.
Doesn't this make you a buddy diver then?
Sort of yes, but also No – It is about more detailed plans, having redundant equipment and being prepared to be a solo diver at any point during the dive. We dive in what can be zero viz at times. If we lose contact with each other we continue with the dive as planned. We usually re-connect during the dive. So it is a buddy system without the lost buddy procedure which is not the buddy system. To be clear I am not promoting that to inexperienced divers, which have not had additional training and redundant equipment.
It was actually kind of cool this weekend – on the away down there was a range were the viz went to crap. Instead of having buddy-lines or hanging on to hoses, we continued. Then the viz suddenly cleared a boom there was my team right where they were supposed to me. Two of us have computers that can be a really conservative compared to the others – it is never consistent which one of us will push the NDL. That same dive it was me. So, I ascended to another line 2/3 through the dive. Completed the Dive and met up with the guys at the safety stop. So they got to continue their dive at the deeper depth while I go to get a longer dive in at the shallower depth.
Personally, I think most recreational dive certifications are "fufu cards" - but to each his/her own. IMHO, This falls under the category of experience vs wanting to do too much too soon. Most of the stuff that people learn in these courses, you could/would pick up in due time with experience, and honestly, forums like ScubaBoard, where we can learn from other's experiences, without necessarily having to pay someone for a certification card.

As for me, while I didn't say before. I dive with a buddy or without. Generally, if I'm recreational diving, I prefer a buddy, since I already dive for work (which is more often than not - solo). Diving for pleasure is more about spending time with the buddy DIVING. However, from time to time, I will just enjoy a nice recreational dive, by myself (In Florida, in the Ocean, on familiar reefs). Depending on the circumstance, I may not take any additional "safety equipment", just a single tank with one regulator, no pony, and that's that. Let me qualify that statement with; in that situation with no additional gear, I only go as deep as I feel comfortable making an emergency ascent.
Not sure this will be worth much to you but I do not completely disagree with you. From when I first got certified to now there has been a lot taken out. Freakily I do not think there are enough dives to make completely competent divers. We all need to continue to dive and learn to gain experience.

Last edited:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A number of posts concerning an off topic debate have been removed. Other posts have been edited in line with the deletions. Please remember that this is the Basic Scuba forum and the need to stay on topic is a key requirement for participation here.

I am new at SCUBA and have the buddy system hammered in me.

Well, just in case you get one of those stomach cramps you get if you dive after eating-------.

Just last week, I swam nearly a mile off shore from Ft Lauderdale, I did it alone, I made sure to eat before I went. No buddy, no stomach cramps. The current carried me way north which was planned. My wife dropped me near Commercial Blvd and picked me up nearer to Atlantic Blvd. One dive boat came by and asked me what boat I was from (they do a lot of drift diving here) and I told them I was not from a boat and continued on my way. The look was worth the swim.

N

I am a certified solo driver - I dive with a team of Solo certified drivers that are all experienced drivers. We dive .

That seems funny to me and almost an oxymoron. The reason I dive solo is I can't get a dive buddy when I'm free and want to dive. The idea of a team of solo divers is a funny one indeed.

Adam

Well, just in case you get one of those stomach cramps you get if you dive after eating-------.

Just last week, I swam nearly a mile off shore from Ft Lauderdale, I did it alone, I made sure to eat before I went. No buddy, no stomach cramps…

OMG, you mean that diving alone AND eating less than an hour before entering the water isn't fatal!??? What’s next, Archimedes' principle? At least the sky is still blue. :wink:

OMG, you mean that diving alone AND eating less than an hour before entering the water isn't fatal!??? What’s next, Archimedes' principle? At least the sky is still blue. :wink:

Yeah, I was testing the God's was not I? I mean, diving/swimming after eating, those stomach cramps really are bad news!

Has anyone ever had a stomach cramp? Is there even a such thing as a swimming after eating induced stomach cramp? Why would a stomach cramp cause a swimmer to drown? I dunno, I guess sooner or later I will pay up. I used to think I was UNBREAKABLE and now I know I am not and all I did was go for a bike ride, s--w the stomach cramps, full speed ahead. To the OP, don't do anything you are not prepared to suffer the consequences of having done or for which you are not prepared.

"Prepared" hmmm, what does that mean, is it a truck load of equipment, maybe, is it a wallet full of cert cards, hmmm, some think so, or is it just being a grown up, studying the task at hand and then developing a plan of attack and a back up and then deciding for yourself if the benifits out weight the risks, if so, then go, if not, then do not.

N

At least the sky is still blue. :wink:

... not where I live ... :depressed:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Personally, I think most recreational dive certifications are "fufu cards"

I agree....

... so do the agencies.

If you do a "fufu course".... and get a "fufu card".... then the agencies recommend that you limit yourself to "fufu diving".

"Fufu diving".... = with a buddy for support, in shallow open-water, without any complex objective.

Solo diving is not "fufu diving". Thus, agencies don't recommend it for "fufu divers".

How many of the 150 are not walking under palm trees?
How many are shaking the palm trees?
how many are walking under a palm tree where coconuts are being cut out?
how many are in a grocery store throwing coconuts at each other?

How many are nowhere near a coconut when one beaned them in the brain out of now where?

Without the details of the statistic it means nothing.. Those that are shaking the tree or under one that is being harvested or throwing them at each other it might be a good idea to wear a hard hat.... If you doing a risky activity it makes since to have the safety equipment.

Someone not scuba diving should not have a scuba diving accident; someone nowhere near a coconut should not get their melon cracked.

It is kind of like saying a nurse shark is the most common to byte scuba divers and it is. If you throw in the additional information and track unprovoked versus provoked. There has never been an unprovoked nurse shark byte. Message - Scuba divers not go and grab a nurse shark by it tail when they are resting up under the reef shelf, they do not byte you when you're sleeping.

Yes, agree with all of this. I've made this point many times. Statistics mean nothing. But I'm guilty of saying "do a search". Old news.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom