Diving without a buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the response.

I was just wondering if a few solo dives in the 20-30 ft. range might actually teach a bit of self-reliance.

On my last dive, I dove with a buddy and it just felt like we were two jackasses in the water. Neither one of us had dove the site before. Neither one of us had a dive watch to mark and monitor our time.

It just didn't feel right.

But, with that said, it's probably better to play it safe.

Most of my first dives and a good portion of my diving now is done solo and it didn't take long to become self sufficient. Just yesterday I did a solo OW sidemount dive to 140ft or so in 40 degree water and it was great. I suggest you take things slow though and make sure your equipment and technique are up to par and do some reading in the solo diving section.

If you want to practice, and that's good, try a pool. It would be safer-not totally safe because people still die in pools but safer regardless.

Although I was trained to always dive with a buddy, I was wondering if it was a horrible idea to dive without a buddy, just for some local 30' max spring dives.

I want to work on my diving skills in some locations that I feel most experienced divers would be bored with. I just want to collect a lot of confidence before doing any "serious" dives.

How many of you dive without a buddy?

Thanks for the response.

I was just wondering if a few solo dives in the 20-30 ft. range might actually teach a bit of self-reliance.

On my last dive, I dove with a buddy and it just felt like we were two jackasses in the water. Neither one of us had dove the site before. Neither one of us had a dive watch to mark and monitor our time.

It just didn't feel right.

But, with that said, it's probably better to play it safe.

It's not uncommon for newer divers to ask that question. It is for that reason that I wrote this article a couple years ago.

The simple answer to your question is that you are not ready. The primary clue is the questions you are asking ... they are the wrong questions for any solo diver.

In order to solo dive, you need to already have confidence in your skills. Solo diving isn't a safe way to acquire that. Depth doesn't matter. We lost a fairly new diver here two years ago in very shallow water for doing exactly what you're proposing. We don't know what spooked him, or why he bolted to the surface. We do know that he forgot to breathe out on the way up and blew out his lungs. And don't think that just because you know something from the safety of a classroom or your home computer that you'll remember to do it during a time of stress. Such is not always the case.

Play it safe. Work with a buddy to develop good diving skills and habits. BECOME a good buddy. When you have developed the awareness and skills to be a good buddy, THEN you'll be ready to consider the potential for solo diving.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Your question is a very common one, and you've already gotten some good answers, so I won't rehash that.

But I did want to throw one other thing out there that hasn't really been mentioned. There are lots of more experienced divers than you who are happy to take new divers out....not only to dive a site and check it out, but also to work on skills. If you wanted to go out to work on your buoyancy, I would bet that an experienced buddy would be willing to go out and hover with you (and as an added bonus, watching them hover and then trying to emulate them will only make you a better diver).

Lots of experienced divers are happy to go out with new divers....and if you take the time and ask lots of questions, you will probably learn a lot and start to fill in those holes. Ask what you did well and what you need to improve on....ask if they have any tips or tricks on that one thing that's messing you up....pick their brains and get out as much as you can.

At your experience level, I wouldn't recommend going out solo. Many of those reasons have been discussed above. I urge you to find a mentor - it will go a long way!

yeah I think the phrase that did it for me was "it just felt like we were two jackasses in the water."

There's nothing wrong with solo diving at all - but you just need to read the accidents and incidents forum to see where things can go wrong - not so long ago a diver drowned trying to recover golf balls from a water hazard.

Some people enjoy the solitude - videographers and photographers especially like to dive solo - it's one less thing in the water to chase the fish away - but there are obvious risks for solo diving. You may want to check out the SDI solo diving (self-reliance) course; just teaches you that extra bit of planning and preparation for underwater emergencies without a buddy.

To join in the chorus - it's not criticism of your diving ability (I mean, I don't know who you are) - but based on your posts I would suggest you are not ready for solo diving.

Me personally - I don't enjoy it - to some extent (not always) I prefer to have a bad buddy than none at all. If nothing else, it's more fun in the pub afterwards. As an instructor, some might suggest we are diving solo anyway - just with four students behind us.

Take your time, learn the drills, then when your skills and confidence are high enough, there are no underwater policemen who will stop you. Don't use solo diving as an excuse for getting away from dive buddies who might not be so great in the water. If you recognise you have faults as a diver, address these first before you attempt to go it your own.

Hope that helps, safe diving (however you choose to do it)

C.

Crowley makes a good point. As instructors we are really solo divers with students around us. Lucky if we have a DM. I do solo dive from time to time as a photographer and it can be nice. I can teach it as well, but the preparation is rather extensive from several aspects.

Generally I will not solo dive for pure recreation. A buddy makes it more enjoyable so long as the buddy can get along with my photo quirks.

Get a bood bunch of experience under your belt before you go solo AND get specific training\ - PLEASE.

The real key with diving with a very experienced diver it to be truthful with them and let them know your skill level and concerns.

Rather than be put off by it, most will appreciate your honesty and will be more be more adpt to dive with you to help you with skills.

The real key with diving with a very experienced diver it to be truthful with them and let them know your skill level and concerns.

Rather than be put off by it, most will appreciate your honesty and will be more be more adpt to dive with you to help you with skills.

Yep, I found an experienced diver here on SB by posting just that. I'm new, I don't know what I'm doing and need to learn. I think you'd be suprised how many divers would enjoy it, not only do they get to help a new member of the club, but they get a chance to refresh their basic skills a bit too and be reminded of some of those things you kinda let slip over time as you become comfortable.

If you want to make sure to alienate someone, don't tell them up front.

started doing exactly this about 2 years ago---in fact just made 10 boat dives on Dominica that way---what the DM's didn't know didn't hurt them(or me) a bit.....

For me diving is a buddy enjoyment. When I started diving many years ago, somebody told me : "The actual diving is only 10% of the fun, talking about the dives before and after and all the BS around is 90% of it."
I am not sure if the split is correct, but I enjoy diving more with a buddy.
I did some solo dives too, mostly for UW pictures, where I went to a dive spot I knew very well and stayed in the area of 6 sq ft for the whole dive. If you go diving with a "real" diver, he / she enjoys any dive (at least I do and like to share my experience with other people). As long as you tell them that you are new, they will know how to dive with you.
As set above, practice your skills in a pool, but go diving with an experienced diver you can learn from.

Back
Top Bottom