Diving with Whales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bob4cruzn

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Where would be the best place to dive with a reasonable chance of encountering Whales. I would like to find a spot in the Caribbean but am open to anything!!!

Good chance in the Caribbean that is fairly well known for humpbacks is the Silver Banks north of the Dominican Republic and sort of in between the DR and Turks and Caicos. I do not know if dayboats are able to do this, but for sure the Turks and Caicos Aggressor liveaboard does the Silver Banks during the winter months, departing out of Puerto Plata in the DR. However, I believe that these are all snorkeling trips and not scuba.

I would imagine that there might be a possibility of having such an encounter while scuba diving either in DR or T&C during those times, but you'd have to be lucky.

Other places that I know of are Tonga for humpbacks during our summer months, and minke whales off the Great Barrier Reef in Australia also during our siummer months. I'm sure that there are others.

Have been diving in the Turks & Caicos for many years. Saw a whale once on the surface off West Caicos. Have heard them many times underwater but not seen them. All diving was land based between January and April.

Why don't you try Hawaii, the whales are in from Dec. to April, I'm not sure if anyone is allowed to dive with whales it may just be a chance thing.

Back
Top Bottom