Diving with whale sharks in Oslob..operators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ocdiver1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Thinking of getting to Oslob on an uncoming trip and, while there are lots of posts about Oslob, I haven't really noted any that list or recommend operators. As I'm not otherwise going to be in Moalboal or Dumaguete this trip, I'm not looking for anyone that does it from these places. Ideally, I'd love to make it a (long) day trip from Cebu, but so far I've only found www.oslobwhalesharks.com, but they really just do private trips for 2 or more people and I'm by myself. Open to going down to Oslob and stayiing for a day or two if need be, and not interested in anyone who just does snorkelling with the whale sharks.

Let me know if anyone has any recommended operators. Thanks!

I would just show up........probably divers there that day & hook up with 1(or more) of them.....you're more or less on your own, so just go......We went the end of Oct '12 & it was worth it(was staying @ Turtle Bay Resort & they did all the arrangements---ie transportation & got us in to the place)....Good luck....

Thanks..but ideally I'm interested in something from Cebu. If that's off the table then I'd go down there, but have such limited time this trip I'd want to have it planned out without just showing up and hoping everything turned out for the one day I was able to dive. If anyone knows of any Cebu or onsite operators in Oslob, I'd appreciate the info.

Hi thereI am in the Philippines at the moment and saw the whalesharks yesterday in Oslob. The village has a super organised Set up. You can just arrive and presumably with a c card can hire scuba equipment and away you go. We were in the waterat 7 am on a Friday and ours was only the second scuba group. More people were arriving as we were leaving. Local helpers do up gear for the divers and help you in an out of the water, it was a very tricky shore entry.My helper told me that this is a job for him that helps him feed his family. I presume that the all in fee to the dive operator covers a payment to the local community for this service.If I were to go back and I would dearly love to, I would stay near the town or in it and do several visits , diving and snorkelling.It was a mind blowing experience being so close to these beautiful creatures for the entire 50 min dive. I will post a full report later, but we saw four or five whalesharks, including one massive one and two youngsters. They were above us but the feeders move a bit and the whalesharks follow the boats , and they seemed pretty happy to me !But in answer to your question , just arriving should be fine.Happy to answer any more questions.

The site where you dive in Oslob is not in fact in Oslob is 10km south from Oslob Town (a small fishing village forget the name). You have to tell the bus driver to let you know when you reach whale shark diving. You´ll see on the left of the road a gate whit giant banner that says whale shark diving (hard to miss). Go through the gate and you´ll reach the registration center where you pay the fee (diving or snorkellign you choose) and get a brief orientation about meeting the gentle giants. There´s two turns to do the interaction with the Tuki (local name for whale shark) in the morning and afternoon before 2 p.m if you arrive later you´ll have to stay and wait till the other day.
ABOUT DIVE OPERATOR Oslob Divers is decent operator run by locals and is near the place where you´ll meet the whale shark diving is about 1500 pesos (1 dive), they´ll give you the equipement and help you gear up in the shore. It´s a shore entry and then you just swim where the fishers boat are and you´ll find the whale shark (not very dificult). If you are not confident with diving on your own you can hire a divemaster at Oslob Diver i think it was about 100 pesos. Theres a decent place where to stay near the whale shark so you dont have to pay for a trip back to Oslob Town it´s called Ester Inn.

P.D: Oslob Divers have a nice web site where you can contact them, they are very friendly and help you with all your doubts. Hope this helps.

Happy Diving it trully is a dive you´ll remember in the years to come.

Hi, Oslob Divers webpage is not working. Does anyone have their email address or phone number i could text?
How much are rooms at Ester inn, is there other cheap fan rooms available near? Thanks! -Kimi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom