Diving with Tiger Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kassj0peja

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sorry, I did not really know where to post this.

I started diving in Moorea and after that I did most of dives in Southeast Asia (Myanmar, Thailand, Indonesia). I also went back once to the South Pacific to Tahiti and Rarotonga.

I did only 10 dives in the South Pacific but in these 10 dives I have seen many more sharks than in 300 in Southeast Asia. Sharks (especially the Tiger Shark) and documentaries about them in my childhood were the reason why I became a diver.

To be honest I start to miss something when I dive nowadays. I know it is a priviledge to be able to do this and that the underwater world is beautiful and precious but I feel like I need get this feeling again I had when I was a beginner.

I know there are few places like Isla de Coco in Costa Rica, the Bahamas, Beqa Lagoon in Fidji where it is possible to dive with Tigers. But I am not a big fan of liveaboard diving and not at all of shark feeding. But I think the South Pacific offers quite good possibilities to encounter Tigers in a natural environment.

Can you please give me recommendations about good destinations for diving with Tiger Sharks (not only South Pacific).

Thanks

Here's my Maui Tiger shark story...We go to the dock with Lahaina Divers. There are two boats. I get on the boat for Molokini. The captain says 'Anyone on this boat who does not hold an AOW card, Deepwater cert, Drift cert, you are on the wrong boat and need to get on the boat next to us for Lanai'. On the boat with us is a nice lady, who just got her OW and AOW that week on vacation. So we drop in on the back wall and the current is really ripping. It was like being on the wing of a plane. All the big pelagics are flying by, the dolphin pod, rays, sharks etc. We come back to the boat, and she says to the DM 'Wow that was great. The dolphins were amazing. What kind was that big one with the stripes?' DM and I look at each other..he smiles and says 'We called her especially for you I called Here Kitty-Kitty'. She looks puzzled. DM: 'It was a 12' tiger shark'. She was a beautiful one, too!

Did the dive just south of the entrance to Honokohau in Kona on July 2nd this year and saw a tiger shark. Heading toward the harbor in deeper water, then passed outbound in the shallows.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom