Diving with the hero pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim6656

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok plannin a dive trip and want an underwater cam. Prog going with the hero 3 go pro

first iv had one before here is the story with why im unsure if i want to go with the go pro or how to set it up

in march 2012 we was in florida went down to key largo to dive the speigal grove. On the way i bought a go pro with a head mount strap. We got to the wreck in like 6-8 feet waves. It was my first boat dive with my new bp/w also. I had three shore dives on it though and six hours pool time checking everything for this dive.

I was the first in the water ripping currents waves and i started up the line to the bouy. My go pro repeatedly keep pulling on my mask flooding it. Dealing with that i got smashed with a wave the rope caught my reg pulling it out second time dumbing water down my lungs. So water in my lungs mask issues i headed for the boat. Three more times i got water in my lungs and 20 min into fighting it i could hardly breath and started passing out. So the dm pulled me to the ladder. She saved my life and said even with water in my lungs blacking out i never freaked out. She thought i was out cause i was not thrashing or screaming. It took a month for me to step near the ocean.

The mask issue with the camera caused the start of it all. So i dont want to repeat this again.

What is the best way to mount a go pro for diving. I thought on my bc or a wrist mount.
Oddly after it happen i was glad i the go pro was on. It caught every second of it. Showed me pushed down 10 feet deep by the waves huffing and pushing water out of my lungs. It was freaky watching my self basically slowly beginning to drown but better i watchin it then a coroner

Not on your mask. You might look in the Underwater Videography forum where there's a whole subforum on GoPros

It's a good idea to get comfortable with your diving first before taking a camera underwater. Once you have say 100-200 dives and are very comfortable with your buoyancy and not task-loaded, then get a camera.

I use a chesty for my gopro. put on your wet suit, then chesty then your bc. Let it run. Once you have decended you can un click it from the chesty mount and hold it in your hand if you need.

Back
Top Bottom