Diving with sofas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

siikik

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Went to Blue Spring last Saturday (7/25) and had an amazing dive with manatee! We arrived later than usual (after getting a late start) and were in the water around 9:30 or so. After having some trouble equalizing, the spouse ascended a few feet (enough to get out of the hole,) to see three manatee swimming around her and quickly became excited, not to mention elated.

They were quite playful with each other and were very curious about the divers as they swam up to nearly every one of us in the water at the time. They appeared to be a family unit with two adults and a youngster just having a good 'ole time swimming around. All the recent rains have kept the run deep enough for them to swim all the way to the boil.

For a time they wandered off down the run a bit and excited all the swimmers so we decided to have a surface interval to talk about them and to kick each other for forgetting our camera... there was no doubt where the manatee were at... just look for the crowd. Not willing to let go of the moment just yet, we went down the run and found them. While I was happily watching from underneath, Beka was happily scolding all the swimmers who had surrounded and trapped the manatee. Once the crowd broke up, the manatee swam back to the boil and continued their playful behavior. I perched myself on a log and just watched... until the largest of the three decided, "hey, you're on my log" and proceeded to treat me like the other manatee, pushing me aside. I humbly obliged. They don't look like they can move fast, but they do. Although on reflection, it was probably more like, "hey, do you want to play?"

So thanks to Lou (Lake Mary Scuba Club) for allowing me to use his "diving with sofas" phrase... now that I've done it, I understand what he means... you'll get out of their path one way or another.

And for those of you who didn't catch it before... I forgot the camera. Sorry, no pictures... just memories. There were others there with cameras so perhaps one of them will post some pictures.

As I think about it, this was simply an amazing set of circumstances. I would have never thought manatee would have been in the spring in July and right at the time we were there. This was probably the longest dive I've had at Blue Spring... and certainly the most memorable.

Ken

Thnx for sharing

Are you talking about the Blue Spring north of Orlando... Have they changed the rules concerning getting in the water while manatees are near. Last time I was there three years ago, we were not allowed to get in the water at all while manatees were present. Would love to take my boys there is the rules have changed so please let me know... thanks..

Cool Beans! Awesome experience. Thanks for sharing!

Are you talking about the Blue Spring north of Orlando... Have they changed the rules concerning getting in the water while manatees are near. Last time I was there three years ago, we were not allowed to get in the water at all while manatees were present. Would love to take my boys there is the rules have changed so please let me know... thanks..

Yes, I am referring to Blue Spring State Park in Orange City, and you are correct about the rules... they have not changed.

Fortunately, our timing was spot on for this dive. When we walked down the run from the entry point to the boil, the manatees were not present... at least not anywhere within the swimming area that I could tell, thus, no reason for the rangers to stop anyone from entering the water. In other words, we had no clue any were present at the time. We were underwater perhaps 15 or 20 minutes before ascending and noticing the manatee. At this time, the rangers either did not know they were in the spring or they allowed those already diving to continue.

As I mentioned, at one point, a crowd gathered around them, which is most likely when the rangers became aware of them. After the manatee wandered off, we continued and completed our dive to the bottom. We did find out (while picking up our c-cards at the ranger station) that the rangers did make people get out of the water. I can only guess this was along the run and in the swimming area because divers were not told to evacuate the area.

To my knowledge, none of the divers were violating any laws protecting the manatee, however the swimming crowd was definitely guilty of harassing them.

I found this site for reference if you are interested.

neat story.... take the camera next time!!!!!
Thanks for the advice!

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom