Diving with one fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

torbaydiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm curious to know that if a strap fin snaps is there a technique for getting back to shore whilst wearing only one fin , or do you really have to carry a spare strap whilst diving.
One thing I was surprised to note is that without fins on whilst wearing diving equipment kicking your legs achieves absolutely nothing !

I recently had a fin knocked into the water as I was suiting up. I made a dive after it...

I'm a frog kicker. Not fun. Flutter was much easier. It can be done, but obviously its about half as efficient.

I never carryed a strap while ON the dive... before my springs I carried one in my drybox, but never in my pocket, as the likelihood of it breaking was much higher when donning and doffing than in mid dive.

Actually, I'm lying. I never gave it this much thought... :D

K

Flutter kick works, but not very well. Dolphin is the best bet. Should have been covered in your OW class. I practice swimming with 1 fin every couple of months.

The fin should tend to stay on your foot, even with the strap missing, while you flutter kick. I use bungee loop wrist bands to clip lights or whatever to. Two of these linked together will work as an improvised fin strap.

A kick most divers have been taught, but few have mastered is the Dolphin kick. Rhythm is very important with this kick. You should forget about your fins and legs, they are not important except as an extension of your entire body. Most kicks use the legs; the dolphin kick uses the entire body. A wave passes through the entire body beginning at the diver’s head and ending with his fin tips. If the rhythm is broken at any point, the kick is lost. It is easier to do this kick quickly, but once mastered, the diver can slow it down. If you ever get an opportunity to dive with dolphins, keep your hands to your sides and dolphin kick as quickly as possible while making trilling or cooing sounds in your throat. They love it. This is also an excellent kick if you lose a fin. Cross your ankles and use the dolphin kick. Watch someone who knows how to use it and you'll see it's a truly beautiful kick.

This past summer I was helping out in a class and we were at the float ready to descend when the instructor looks down and notices that one of the students only had one fin on! For some reason, the student didn't even realize he had lost a fin! It was found later 1/2 way to the shore so I guess it is possible to swim along with only one on!

If you are familiar with competetive swimming, it is the kick used in the butterfly stroke.

Yes I think I know the stroke that you mean, Kevin Costner used it in that film Waterworld :)
you move your legs simultaneously instead of alternatively !
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom