Diving with Murphey - aka How I learned sidemount during a dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firebrand:
Glad you escaped unharmed. Maybe a course in DIR can help you resolve the issues around a PB/W configuration. (I'm not DIR, but I'm considering it if I can find the time & money).
I am pretty sure even non-dir divers know how to check the tightness of wingnuts without taking a course in it. :wink:

Thanks for the post Sean.

I got that wobble once and luckily noticed it on the surface. It is now my routine to check the wingnuts before I strap on that tank each time. The new dive rite bp come with a new bolt that seems nicer (wont get snagged on a drysuit) that I have wondered about, but I dont know if it will help with them loosening over time. Happy to hear that you managed to get out ok. I look at it this way, every bad experience makes you a better diver. Just don't have too many! :wink:

Wingnuts and lockwashers work fine, it you remember to check them every once in a while. I bought a set of those delrin nut previously mentioned for my doubles setup,and I like them a lot. If you're interested in them, let me know and I'll get you the seller's email addy.

I installed the nylock nuts last night. Tonight when I went to check on my soaking gear I noticed two nice big oxidized patches collecting around the nuts. I guess I should have checked to see what the nylocks nuts were plated with BEFORE I bought them and used them on steel.

Rather than buy a new pair (for the absurd price of 19c each!) I think I will just galvanize them myself. Now I just need to borrow some Zinc nitrate...

The sad thing is I actually have a crisp dollar bill stored away somewhere. The good thing is Canadians have coins in $1 and $2 denominations. :D

The hardware store I went to only had one type of nylock nut and I am now certain they are not stainless steel. Time to make a trip to Canadian Tire!

That will only work if they have of Iron, Cobalt or Nickel in them. That won't tell me if they will corrode or not. I guess I could get the galvanized ones if there is no SS... but they won't be shiny!

Everything will corrode or make something else corrode given time and the right conditions.

The magnet will just keep you from buying cheap imitation SS.

SeanQ:
The first indication that something was going to happen was The Voice this morning that said to me "this dive can wait."

I believe in those little voices. My tale is below......... That morning, before the first dive, my wife was unusually nervous. So much so we even discussed not diving. She didn't know why. The 1st dive was a 130 foot wreck dive and we figured that she was nervous over that. Then this happened:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=102986

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom