Diving with mayan aqua dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PARADISE HUNTER

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
4/15 & 4/16

I know that Ben and Mayan Aqua Dive gets a lot of love on this forum, but I have to say, it's well earned. I will admit that due to weather and port closings, I only got to dive with them on two days. It was mostly a family vacation and I only had four days to go diving. But I did get to talk to Ben and his crew everyday, as there main office was located at out hotel (VCI). Ben runs a well organized business and has a friendly staff.

We dove the C-58 and Grampin in Cancun and went down to Playa for two tank dives with the bull sharks.

On our Cancun dives we had two DM's, Ben and Jorge Tapia. Jorge is a great guy! He has to be the only Mexican I'll ever know that likes hockey and snowboarding! The nice thing about having the two DM's is that it let one help the less experienced divers out while the other guided the dive. It also allowed for two different ascent groups and thus let the better air consumers dive longer. Ben did a great job explaining the dive sights and dive plans. There was strong current in CUN but none in Playa. The vis was about the same at both locals, around 60', due to strong winds and heavy waves. Water temp was 78 and 79 degrees.

The marine life in CUN was much better than I expected and was dissapointed that I didn't get more dives in. Many schools of fish, lobster, HUGE cuda, a black tip reef shark and sting ray. No eagle rays on the C-58 for us, but I understand they are a regular sighting.

The bull shark dives in Playa were just plain awesome. You can't beat round trip transfers, two tank dives, guide service and lunch for only $85 a person. Jorge was the guide on this trip and he was very saftey conscious. The dive itself was only 500 meters off the shore in about 95' of water, with a sandy bottom and no reef. We used no bait and still saw 3 or 4 bull sharks, one was in the 6-7' range and Michael Jordan couldn't get his arms around the large part of this shark. They came in and out of sight and circled us for about 20 minutes. They came within a couple of meters on several passes. Great time! As for the second dive, no sharks. That's the way it goes. My understanding is that the season should have been over already (a discussion for another time) and I was lucky to have had the opportunity in April.

I will be sure to use these M.A.D again and I look forward to seeing more of the reef on my next visit.

Thanks Ben and Jorge for a great time.

Safe diving,

PH

Last edited:
Thanks for the report. My son and I were hoping to hit the bull sharks but they will be gone by the time we get there. Even the whale sharks are marginal by the beginning of Sept...:(

Glad you had a great time. I'm staying at the resort where Ben has the shop. My son and I spent a lot of time snorkeling around the pier. Plenty of stuff to see there as well.

Paradise Hunter,

Thanks for the dive report. We are heading to VCI the last week of June and planning on diving with Ben also. How is the hotel and surrounding area?

Thanks for the information in advance.

We thought the resort was great. We liked the location on the "strip". It is close to the down town and a ways from all the crazyness of the Senior Frogs area. We liked to take the bus into town and shop and eat our dinners.

The resort landscaping was beautiful, full of tall royal palms. The beach is a nice white sand beach that was cleaned every morning. We have a young family so we were camped out at the kids pool most of the day. The pools are clean and heated. They had different childrens activities going all day and they did a great job with them.

We had a two level condo on the beach and it was big. Great view! Nicely furnished with a stocked kitchen. Not the Ritz Carlton, but well done.

The Palalpa restaurant had good food. One meal was so so and the other great. I also like that they have a new H2O filtration facility and you can drink the water out of the tap. There were six of us drinking it and no one got sick.

The staff is very friendly and the maid did a great job.

My only complaint is that the water in front of the hotel is 75% filled with thick weeds and is shallow. Not the best for swimming or walking around.

Hope this helps.

Have fun,

PH

We have time shares at the Royals. We stayed at several, and have visited all. When we came in the first time, people were staying at the Royal Mayan. I really like that resort and the layout. However, they said their favorite resort out of all of them is VCI and I agree.

It is smaller, NOT in the club zone. I agree the seaweed is a distraction, but we found it great for snorkeling. My son thinks the Palapa bar has the best hamburgers he's ever had. Only had one meal, one time, that wasn't very good.

I would suggest both the La Parilla and La Placitas downtown. We usually have one meal at the Captain's Cove. We try to get there right around sunset. Great for a relaxing evening after a day of diving. There is an Italian restaurant near the Mayan Hotel that was highly recommended. It was the worst service we've ever received. Food was okay, but the waiter should have been fired.

Ben can make some good recommendations. There is an Argentinian Steak house, that is a bit pricey, but I understand the steaks are great. Also, DO NOT MISS the Taco Party at the Royal Mayan. It was the best tacos I've ever had! There is a shuttle that runs between the resorts hourly. Lots of activities.

I'm sure you'll have a great time.

When are the Bull sharks in Playa Del Carmen?? I am going down in July and that would be awsome I didnt see on Bens website though about the bull shark dives?? thanks

The bull shark season in Playa traditionally starts in November and goes through March. But it's expanding due to the feeding. I think the water temps will be to warm in July for any bulls.

PH

Ok I don't want to start a whole other controversial thread here.... BUT, there is ABSOLUTELY NO proof that the bull sharks stayed longer this year due to the feeding. They were around while the water was at its lowest temp (around 26C). AND as expected they left as soon as the water temp started creeping up. It so happens that the water stayed cool really long this year. So, that could perfectly well explain the longer season. The bulls are here for the colder waters so in the winter time. January and February are usually peak seaon.
In July you will have full-blown whale shark season!!! A MUST!!! You should also be able to spot some manta rays up by the whale sharks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom