Diving with dolphins in the wild

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are dolphins all over california. You can do it yourself or pay someone to take you out. Warm water might be more fun though.

I don't know what the bay is called, it's right next to "point of refuge" on the Big Island. I counted 21 dolphins who stayed with my wife and I for over an hour. It was a terrific experience.

Once when we visited the Brac we spent several days diving with a single dolphin.
File0152.jpg

File0151.jpg

Once while diving in between the Brac and Little Cayman we had a pod follow us. Once when we were diving in Kimbe Bay PNG a pod stayed with us for awhile.
PNG048.jpg

Roatan? You mention Anthony's Key, but there is often a wild pod that frequents the South shore area near First Bight & Iron Shore, a bit East of CoCoView. They are a fairly common sight and the boat captains will drop you in their path.

You do mention "diving" with them. Most of the wild critters I have seen aren't too fond of bubbles or submerged divers. They seem to be quite attracted to shallow and surface swimming snorkelers.

Yep - Been there done that!

I just came back from a divetrip to French Polynesia. We saw many dolphins, who came very close and sometimes spent up to 20 minutes with us during the dives.

Just came back from a dive trip to Tahiti. During 4 of 10 dives in Rangiroa we saw dolphins, sometimes they stayed with us 10-15 minutes.

I have only had this happen once, on a trip about 11 years ago to a remote location in Mexico about 60 miles from the border with Belize. 2 wild dolphins came up and swam with our group of about a dozen divers for around 45 minutes, they would never get close enough to touch, but would approach within about 10 feet. The dive operator said this was very unusual and only happened about once per year or so, I can say it was one of my most thrilling dives ever.

Ike

I believe if you get to spend time while diving with dolphins it is a rarity.We once had a pod hunt on a site where we were waiting for Hammerheads, that was GREAT! And we swam with wild ones in bimini and off the coast of the Osa peninsula in Costa Rica. There is a marine biologist who is the only one licensed for soft in water encounters there. We went way out into open ocean in hopes of finding a pod interested in stopping to visit. It was awesome, we spent approx 30 mins in the water with Rough tooth dolphins and then had a ball with some bottlenose several times on the way back. I am firmly convinced our guide was the key to the encounter, that and luck. He could read their behavior well enough to tell us when it was worth trying to get in and have them stay. So we didn't spend all day getting in and out of the water frustrated. We saw several pods, but only the one stayed in one spot long enough to really enjoy. It was an awesome experience.Shawn Larkin was his name, we booked him thru an eco lodge call La Paloma. Hope you get to experience time with them on their terms, there is nothing like it IMHO.

Once when we visited the Brac we spent several days diving with a single dolphin.
File0152.jpg

File0151.jpg

Once while diving in between the Brac and Little Cayman we had a pod follow us. Once when we were diving in Kimbe Bay PNG a pod stayed with us for awhile.
PNG048.jpg

LOVE your pics!

Back
Top Bottom