Diving with Capt Sl8r Charters on April 27 & 28, 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Murfdizzle21

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Went out with Capt Sl8r Charters and Scuba Works aboard their boat the Kyalami on Saturday April 27, 2013. Seas were a bit sporty, I got sick, but got good video so I was still happy lol. We hit two spots called Spade fish point and Monkey's ledge. First dive was at spade fish point where we saw 5 or 6 reef sharks, two loggerhead turtles, a hawksbill turtle, and a lot of goliath grouper. Second dive was at Monkey's ledge where we saw a school of barracuda, one loggerhead turtle, more goliaths and one reef shark, lots of little schools of snapper/grunts. Footage came out pretty good because the sun was out, water temp was a toasty 77 degrees and vis was about 60 or 70 feet I'd say. All footage was shot by myself on the Gopro hero 3 black edition with SRP CYD filter. Settings were 1080p at 60 fps with protune on and white balance set to RAW. Color corrected with cineform pro. Watch in HD.

[video=youtube;u8kvLbTz0c0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8kvLbTz0c0[/video]

I also went out with them the next day Sunday April 28, 2013. Seas were about the same, but the waves were spread out more, so I felt fine. We decided to see some sharks so we went to tunnels for the first dive. Viz wasn't great, but that's expected with tunnels. I like seeing the reef sharks appear through the haze. I'd say we had 10 or 12 reef sharks coming in and out around the donut checking us out. We also saw a few turtles on tunnels, loggerheads and greens. One green went up for air while we were going up to our safety stop, was pretty cool. Second dive was at a sight called bonnies, didn't take a lot of video from the second dive. Got good video of a playful loggerhead going over top of me and coming back by for another look see. All footage was shot by either myself or my friend Cameron Nimmo. Shot on gopro hero 3 and hero 1 with SRP CY filters. Thanks for watching, feel free to comment, hope to see you out on the water soon!

[video=youtube;imfqIx8YXF4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imfqIx8YXF4[/video]

Awesome, I can't wait to get back on the boat.

Nice videos as usual. :D Was the second video shot in medium or narrow?

We dove with K the first of April and had crappy crap vis. Tunnels was blown out with maybe 5-10 ft of vis below the thermocline at about 50' and 60-80 ft of blue water above it. Capt called it the twilight zone dives. Crew were awesome but being our first ocean dives of the season, we forgot to add some additional lead to sink my winter fluff. :wink: After getting some weight and dropping again we had a nice dive, limited vis but nice to be back in the water again.

This was the first cattle boat we have dove off of in a while. We normally dive off a 6 pack and after being kicked in the head multiple times and landed on by numerous divers including instuctors, I think I will stick to 6 packs.

Thanks for posting the videos! Great job!
I was on the boat with you on the 27th so it is awesome to have a record of the dive.

This as my first time on the Kyalami and I will echo the comments about a great crew.

As a compliment to you, I showed this to my wife and she thought it was way cool and asked if I need to buy a Gopro. :wink:

Great vids as usual! Hope to get on board again soon. Was going to go this weekend but conditions didn't look so good.

Yeah, I bailed as well, but re-set my trip for Thursday when it should be a lot better and vis has time to improve (the rain really muddies things up).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom