Diving with BSAC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Everyone,

I initially began my training with BSAC in the early 90's but never managed to get through the old Sports Diver. I now live in the US and am a Master Diver (SSI) with specialty courses in dry suit, search and recovery, deep, navigation and stress and rescue. I've done equivalent conditions to the north sea.

I am hoping to take an extended trip back home and would like to know if it is likely that I could join a BSAC club dive, perhaps with my old branch (BSAC 54). Or are branch/club dives restricted to BSAC members?

Cheers!

You'd certainly be able to join a club and dive as the equivalent BSAC grade level. The SALT table is/was on the bsac site to look up what grade you'd be.

To do branch dives you'd have to pay to be a member of the branch and whatever fees they charge. Im not sure if youd need bsac subs at all.

If you wanted to continue training with BSAC you'd need to do a crossover to a BSAC grade before starting work on the next one up.

In short though, theres nothing stopping you joining a BSAC club and diving with them.

You may be better off posting this on the BSAC forum for an "official" answer.

( http://www.bsacforum.co.uk )

String:
You'd certainly be able to join a club and dive as the equivalent BSAC grade level. The SALT table is/was on the bsac site to look up what grade you'd be.

To do branch dives you'd have to pay to be a member of the branch and whatever fees they charge. Im not sure if youd need bsac subs at all.

If you wanted to continue training with BSAC you'd need to do a crossover to a BSAC grade before starting work on the next one up.

In short though, theres nothing stopping you joining a BSAC club and diving with them.

You may be better off posting this on the BSAC forum for an "official" answer.

( http://www.bsacforum.co.uk )
Thanks. I'm not going to be back in the UK for that long, about 6 weeks. So I won't have time to cross over, just wanted to be able to dive with my old branch and actually get wet this summer!

You can have "guests" diving with a branch and provided you have your own 3rd party insurance i dont think there'd be any issue at all with you diving with them as a guest with no crossover or anything.

Most of the clubs in bsac / ssac are fine, a few of them are a bit up themselves. I remember being told that as a padi instructor they

Most of the clubs in bsac / ssac are fine, a few of them are a bit up themselves. I remember being told that as a padi instructor they might let me join ssac as a sports diver if I did about 8 weeks work! Funnily enough didnt bother with it and now teach every weekend for a local centre.

Personally, I'd be inclined to look for a club that accepts all divers trained by all organisations.

DORSETBOY:
Most of the clubs in bsac / ssac are fine, a few of them are a bit up themselves. I remember being told that as a padi instructor they might let me join ssac as a sports diver if I did about 8 weeks work! Funnily enough didnt bother with it and now teach every weekend for a local centre.

Personally, I'd be inclined to look for a club that accepts all divers trained by all organisations.

Actually I don't think that is the view held by BSAC head office. However, BSAC standards/requirements are much higher than the other groups out there like PADI. Any organisation which requires 3+ months of class and pool training and requires at a minimum for you to complete a rescue in a pool has my vote.

Each to their own. No to digress or get into some silly contest over who can pee higher but the fact that it takes 3+months of classroom work is not quite accurate with bsac. That will be one session per week maybe an hour or so. With you there on your point about the rescue though.

OK I'm with you there. 3 months of once per week class teaching and pool sessions. Although I heard that BSAC has changed its system more inline with PADI et al as most people wanted to learn to dive because they were going on vacation next month, as opposed to next summer!

where you looking to dive Steve? If you're up my way (scotland) drop me a pm if you fancy a dive. There's good diving either in S.E scotland or over on the west coast. i prefer west coast personally as you can dive any time you like in the sea lochs as tidal conditions are rarely a consideration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom