Diving with asthma.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @Boston Breakwater ,

People with asthma can be cleared to dive, though criteria varies slightly across practitioners and regions. We will clear a diver with well-controlled asthma as long as he/she has normal lung function with a provocative (dry air) exercise test and doesn't need a rescue inhaler regularly. Here are the UK guidelines, which are a little more lenient with respect to rescue inhalers but more stringent with respect to monitoring one's own peak flow prior to diving.

A history of spontaneous pneumothorax is typically an absolute contraindication to diving. Recently the diving community has been re-examining this with an eye toward considering those with a single, resolved spontaneous pneumothorax in the distant past for clearance to dive, but most practitioners are understandably still reluctant. If a diver has had a pleurodesis, it decreases the likelihood of recurrence in that lung significantly and so may work in the prospective diver's favor with respect to recreational diving, but probably not commercial diving.

A diver with a history of traumatic pneumothorax can be cleared to dive provided that radiographic examination (usually a high-resolution CT scan) shows no evidence of scarring or potential for air trapping.

You mentioned the possibility of his pneumothoraces being related to pulmonary overinflation during a dive. That can happen with air trapping on ascent, as you probably know. If we go down that rabbit hole, asthma can cause air trapping, but so can holding the breath during a decrease in ambient pressure.

All that said, if you didn't have any details about this diver's medical history, then I personally think you made a prudent decision. If you have any influence on this gentleman, you may want to consider recommending that he see a diving medical practitioner.

Best regards,
DDM
Hello. @Duke Dive Medicine.
Thanks, for your prompt reply. He is 61 years old, and insist he can bend iron. I am not to far behind at 55.
I mentioned in a post not too long ago, that my mind still thinks that I'm a 20 year old 2nd Battalion Recon Marine, and occasionally my body says.....Ah, No.
(So, I can relate to him in that fashion.)
After reading your reply......I thought of a couple more questions. One I will ask here, the other I will P.M. to you. Bear, in mind. I know absolutely nothing about asthma.
My friend dives "Nitrox." religiously typically 36% Is there any advantage diving a higher concentration of oxygen for people that have asthma? I never thought about it before.
Your insight is appreciated not just by me......but, many people on this board. Thanks.
Cheers.

Hello. @Duke Dive Medicine.
Thanks, for your prompt reply. He is 61 years old, and insist he can bend iron. I am not to far behind at 55.
I mentioned in a post not too long ago, that my mind still thinks that I'm a 20 year old 2nd Battalion Recon Marine, and occasionally my body says.....Ah, No.
(So, I can relate to him in that fashion.)
After reading your reply......I thought of a couple more questions. One I will ask here, the other I will P.M. to you. Bear, in mind. I know absolutely nothing about asthma.
My friend dives "Nitrox." religiously typically 36% Is there any advantage diving a higher concentration of oxygen for people that have asthma? I never thought about it before.
Your insight is appreciated not just by me......but, many people on this board. Thanks.
Cheers.

Hi @Boston Breakwater ,

Your tank-filling mate might be able to spit nails, but unfortunately physical strength doesn't really help him in this situation.

Good question about the nitrox. It's not the content of the breathing gas, it's the fact that it's extremely dry and the diver may be exercising while breathing it. That's why we do dry-air exercise testing on asthmatics who are prospective divers.

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom