Diving with a snorkel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Richard Dayan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I always dive with a snorkel, and its proved handy a few times. It seems to be a great safety benefit for a low cost, but most if not, all other divers I see don't use one. What's your opinions on this?

I always dive with a snorkel, and its proved handy a few times. It seems to be a great safety benefit for a low cost, but most if not, all other divers I see don't use one. What's your opinions on this?
If you search here, there are a lot of threads pertaining to this. Personally, I dive with one when I'm doing recreational dives.

ETA: I wear mine attached to my mask--even if I am diving my DH reg. I don't dive a long hose when I am recreational diving.

rx7diver

This has been discussed many times, but it's always a good conversation. I don't care for the snorkel attached to my mask, as I find it can interfere with donating gas to an out-of-gas diver using the primary-donate configuration (long-hose primary, backup on a bungee necklace). So, I have a folding snorkel that I keep in a pocket for use if needed.

It's rarely needed SCUBA diving, but when it is needed, it can be a real asset. On a long swim back to a boat, the difference between gulping water and not. A friend could have used one as she swam for more than 3 hours on the surface, chasing a boat that broke free from it's anchor. Just hanging around the surface, a nice help. I keep one handy, but not on my mask.

What's your opinions on this?

There is no Wrong Gear.
If it works or doesn't work for you, either use it, trash it or change it.
Most divers have drilled, bent, tied, burned, glued, cut or just completely started from scratch to make equipment work. We all dive differently and in different places.

I use a snorkel for snorkeling and a regulator for diving. I don’t mix the two.

Snorkelnis great if you dona lot of surface swimming before or after your dive. If you mostly do boat diving or have a site whete you don't have to swim out, then you may not need one.

Personally, I use mine all the time

I very rarely, or never, do a surface swim but if I do it's on my back, and always have enough air, not to snorkel
any way when you're helpless on the surface what's the fascination with seeing what's sneaking up to bite you

You've already been diving for an hour, get out go drinking

Snorkelling with dive gear, yeah that's good, you may as well take a wheel barrow, in case you find something

I don’t use one on most dives. I have a few foldup snorkels that I may stuff in a pocket in some instances. But, if it works for you in your normal dives, then by all means, bring it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom