Diving with a hydration pack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scoooter961

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone ever dived with a small hydration pack in their BCD in case they get thirsty or to wet their mouth? Any downside to it?

I have one from Deep Sea Supply that goes in the channel between my doubles. It is quite nice for really long dives, but really only use it on decompression.
Don't have a good way to store it on singles or sidemount, but I have a pocket that lives on my O2 bottle that I can put capri suns, beer bottles ;-), bananas, whatever in to eat on deco. Since most of my diving is cave diving in the springs, I tend to just drink the spring water whenever I get thirsty.

For basic scuba diving, you aren't really in the water anywhere near long enough IMO to need it. Drink something before you get in and after you get out.

I have one from Deep Sea Supply that goes in the channel between my doubles. It is quite nice for really long dives, but really only use it on decompression.
Don't have a good way to store it on singles or sidemount, but I have a pocket that lives on my O2 bottle that I can put capri suns, beer bottles ;-), bananas, whatever in to eat on deco. Since most of my diving is cave diving in the springs, I tend to just drink the spring water whenever I get thirsty.

For basic scuba diving, you aren't really in the water anywhere near long enough IMO to need it. Drink something before you get in and after you get out.
Beer bottle ? How does that work ? You open it and drink quickly before the water gets in ?

Beer bottle ? How does that work ? You open it and drink quickly before the water gets in ?
No problem in fresh water. It depends on the beer in question, but quite a few have a specific gravity of 1.03, therefore as long as you don't tilt the bottle it shouldn't dilute. However salt water is also 1.03 so you'd have to be really careful.

Also, I'd recommend a flat IPA. If you prefer fizzy lager type beer this will be a problem as it will seem flat at anything more than 9m.

you all have too much fun! I guess I'm going to have to up my game...

I drink a fair bit of water prior to shore dives--and have a neat way to pee in my wetsuit (hose). I have been on dives that are in the 1 hour range--how do you get thirsty enough to need water?

Reactions: Doc
My wife drinks probably 60oz before our first dive. IDK she's crazy! I'm lucky if i drink 40 all day. She also wears a 5 mil with a 5/3 hood vest in 82 degree water so there is that lol

Reactions: Doc
upside down beer, blow small bubbles into the bottle and the beer comes out. Don't ask me how i know this, i just do :p.

Back
Top Bottom