Diving with a computer/watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know of any agency that doesn't at a minimum require a time-keeping device & depth gauge to go with using table.

I know at least one agency that doesn't use tables or computers... And have personally done a few dives without ever looking at my computer... but hey, I've died a few times already!

You will need a dive watch, a depth gauge, and a good set of tables at a minimum, if you wish to dive safely. I suppose you could do the safety stop by counting "one Mississippi, two Mississippi, etc.............one-hundred and eighty Mississippi". You didn't mention it, but do you have a depth gauge and a set of tables? Enjoy your new diving experiences - safely.
Thank you, yes I do have a depth and pressure gauge and a set of tables.

Byron, there has been a lot of debate on this board about used equipment recently, but here I would encourage you get a used computer from the well-known online places where people offer diving gear. Have the battery changed then you are good to go. There are basic computers like the Sunnto Zoop below US$ 200 ...

Hey Byron, I'm an inexperienced diver, and I can only share what I did when I first got certified.I got on a boat and did liveaboard within a week of being certified, and the only gears me and my friend had were mask and snorkel. The crew finished the first briefing with words like "we have two newly certified divers, and they'd appreciate if any of you could let them tag along". So we followed 3-4 couples for the following a few days, and they were pretty cool about it. Basically, we did the liveaboard without a comupter or watch.It might also have something to do with that people tend to be more accommodating with girls :)Would you be able to rent a computer? If you couldn't commit now.

... we followed 3-4 couples for the following a few days, and they were pretty cool about it. Basically, we did the liveaboard without a comupter or watch.It might also have something to do with that people tend to be more accommodating with girls :).

This is a very upsetting post.

I strongly suggest that as a certified diver you take responsibility for your own life, and not just rely on the fact that people "are more accommodating with girls". Because no matter how accommodating they are for you - for whatever reason you are implying - they can't accommodate away OOG or DCS. No matter how "cool" they are about it.

Hey Byron, I'm an inexperienced diver, and I can only share what I did when I first got certified.I got on a boat and did liveaboard within a week of being certified, and the only gears me and my friend had were mask and snorkel. The crew finished the first briefing with words like "we have two newly certified divers, and they'd appreciate if any of you could let them tag along". So we followed 3-4 couples for the following a few days, and they were pretty cool about it. Basically, we did the liveaboard without a comupter or watch.It might also have something to do with that people tend to be more accommodating with girls :)Would you be able to rent a computer? If you couldn't commit now.
The crew actually advised people to share a computer? If anything happened the lawyers would have a big pay day on that operation. If you can afford a live aboard trip you can certainly afford to own a dive computer. I allow no one to "tag along" with me as I would not accept the liability risk unless I am being compensated for it.

Thank you all very much for your advice, I think I will try and get my hands on a watch/computer before I do my next dive. If I cant buy one then I will see if the charter rents them out. But I know as soon as I have the money that is the first thing I will buy. Thank you all very much again! Thank you very much Land Fish. I always like hearing from other divers that are closer to my skill level :)

I use a timex waterproof watch to time my safety stops. Well, actually it's a back up to my computer for safety stops. Well, actually it's just a way to extend my dive time if I've been above 5 meters for a while.

For heaven's sake folks, diving is not a completely safe activity. I am speechless that a live aboard would allow someone to dive without computers (or tables) following other divers. It is easy to be deeper than someone else and not really realize that you are.

Being a girl is no excuse. In fact as women you should be more competent than the men. Otherwise you make the rest of us look like ditzes.

The crew actually advised people to share a computer? If anything happened the lawyers would have a big pay day on that operation. If you can afford a live aboard trip you can certainly afford to own a dive computer. I allow no one to "tag along" with me as I would not accept the liability risk unless I am being compensated for it.

Once again with the lawyer card!!!

Have you got any documented examples or is this just the chicken little cry?

Sure, it is much better to be in control of your dive and sharing someone's gauges can be dangerous if you are pushing limits. Of course the training agencies discourage this as they are in the same boat as manufacturers (they are dependent on each other). But this is really not all that dangerous of a practice as long as it is done conservatively.

Once again with the lawyer card!!!

Have you got any documented examples or is this just the chicken little cry?

Sure, it is much better to be in control of your dive and sharing someone's gauges can be dangerous if you are pushing limits. Of course the training agencies discourage this as they are in the same boat as manufacturers (they are dependent on each other). But this is really not all that dangerous of a practice as long as it is done conservatively.

I don't know about the litigation angle of this. And I concede that there may be limited situations where swimming next to someone else and relying on their computer may not put a diver at much of a risk for DCS.

But PROMOTING this practice to new divers is a terrible idea, because they may not be able to always distinguish between situations where it's OK and where it isn't. And the worst thing about promoting it isn't that they might get bent, but that it sends the message that situational awareness and self reliance aren't really important as long as you are diving with an "experienced diver". Hey, why have them check their air? Someone else can do it as long as it is done "conservatively".

If you can afford a dive trip, you can afford a $200 dive computer, or at least a $50 watch.

Back
Top Bottom