Diving with 2 oceanic fdx10/ delta4 sets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PCR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,

After trying several regulator sets, of different types and brands, I got hooked on the delta 4.

This week I got lucky, and could buy 2 sets second hand, with little use on it. But now what?

In the coming week, my LDS and instructor will do maintenance on both. Besides the maintenance, I will place a second valve on my tank.

We currently own 2 tanks, and one valve is setup for a second valve. With this valve, we could set up an H valve. So I was wondering 2 things:

1) What is Dee raining behind the knob placement on a H valve? (Knob on top)

2) what is your ideal valve configuration for 1 tank, 2 valves, and why?

Concerning the regulators:

Because of the different inlet on the delta 4, there is no easy way to adjust the hose length. The previous owner of the regulators, simply used the delta 4 hoses as is, both for primary and secondary. But won't the secondary have a too short hose length in this setup? (Without starting a 7 foot house length debate)

An alternative could be to let the LDS adjust the inlet, as described on this forum, but the LDS is afraid to do a non authorized modification...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I use delta 4 for tech diving and replaced the swivel hose fitting with a standard fitting into the regulator. All you do is remove the hose and swivel fitting and replace it with a standard regulator seat and attachment, then fit up any hose you desire. All my delta 4 regs (4 off) all have standard hoses so if I blow a hose, there is no big deal in getting them replaced in most places. I dislike "special" hoses as they are a pain to replace if something goes wrong. In most places they don't stock them and its a special order with weeks of waiting time.

I did the same with my Pro Plus 2 computer with integrated air, a "special hose", which I have blown 2 of now and a high price at some $140+ for a standard length hose. So what I did was to get specially made up, a fitting which screws into the quick disconnect fitting and allows me to use standard HP hoses on my pro plus 2. Given my wife and I have one each, it was worth it to get 4 fittings made up at $60 each so now all my gear takes standard hoses, whether recreational or tech. I like Oceanic gear but hate their attempt to tie you down to "special" overpriced (normally standard) hoses.

Can't help with any of your valve questions, but I have the Delta 4 as well and found this once upon a time regarding gettign rid of the swivel hose - which I'd like to do at some point:

"2/ Remove the Delta 4 inlet coupling which is unique to the Delta 4 (where the hose with the swivel attaches), replace with a inlet coupling from a GT3/Alpha 8 (part #4330 with a MSRP of $10) and move over the orifice to the new coupling inlet. Now use a standard inline tool to tune the second stage. Viola! Any standard 3/8" hose will now fit and the swivel is gone. Now you have full standard compatibility with team mates and one less "potential" (stretch given the design of the swivel) failure point."

There's no reason your LDS can't do an adjustment/modification to your regs. They are used, there's no warranty concerns, and they are yours - you can do whatever you want with them. It's not like Oceanic is gonna come get them for it.

Hi everyone,

In the coming week, my LDS and instructor will do maintenance on both. Besides the maintenance, I will place a second valve on my tank.

We currently own 2 tanks, and one valve is setup for a second valve. With this valve, we could set up an H valve. So I was wondering 2 things:

1) What is Dee raining behind the knob placement on a H valve? (Knob on top)

2) what is your ideal valve configuration for 1 tank, 2 valves, and why?

What are you trying to achieve with 2 valves on one tank? If its backup, I personally see little point, better to have 2 tanks, 2 regs I think, and if you read other posts plenty of detail to go over.

My reasons are twofold:

1) with our water temperatures (0-4 degrees Celsius) freezing regulators is a real issue, even with cold water regulators.

2) it's a statistical game, with 2 separate air paths after my valves I'm covered for almost all air related equipment failures. Yes, with a double set I would cover even more, but it's again an extra expense. And for my current type of diving probably way overdone. ( I don't even empty a 10L tank in the current quarry dives). Yes, I will probably get an additional double set, with the corresponding wing size later, but not for now.

Ok nuff said then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom