Diving with 2 different computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have witnessed multiple divers that where given a 24 hour timeout by a LOB. I am not sure how that happened and was detected.

How did the LOB know? They have never examined any of my computers...
Sorry, not suggesting anything other than confused diver with loudly beeping computer.

So I think the 24 hour sit outs are self declared by the divers... Due to confused state.

I have had crew "sneak a peek" as you reenter the dive deck, but the few times I've seen divers "sat in the corner," they're beeping like crazy when they come out of the water or they walk over to the DM and say, "Hey look at my computer. It's acting weird." :)

I've not seen anyone "sat out" for a backup violated if they were wearing a functioning unit.

I have witnessed multiple divers that where given a 24 hour timeout by a LOB. I am not sure how that happened and was detected.

How did the LOB know? They have never examined any of my computers...

It's quite interesting...when I travel and dive, I notice not that many (the vast majority) divers that I run into actually don't have backup computers. It is even more apparent when diving nitrox, which I dive all the time when available, and I only see people setting one computer unless there is one in a save a dive kit somewhere that I don't know about. I wonder if those people who were sat out didn't have them and locked themselves out of their primary computers when they skipped a mandatory stop (hello, Suunto) or if they failed?

I have had crews "sneak a peek" as you reenter the dive deck, but the few times I've seen divers "sat in the corner," they're beeping like crazy when they come out of the water or they walk over to the DM and say, "Hey look at my computer. It's acting weird." :)
Agreed. Stay away from those under water...

So in general the 24 sit out is really dependent on confused divers asking questions? Not a good plan.... Is this idea worth a separate thread?

My Caribbean LOB experience is asking for max depth and remaining air as I board. I have not noticed them peeking at my computer.

It's quite interesting...when I travel and dive, I notice not that many (the vast majority) divers that I run into actually don't have backup computers. It is even more apparent when diving nitrox, which I dive all the time when available, and I only see people setting one computer unless there is one in a save a dive kit somewhere that I don't know about. I wonder if those people who were sat out didn't have them and locked themselves out of their primary computers when they skipped a mandatory stop (hello, Suunto) or if they failed?
LOB nitrox is always membrane 32ish. Nothing to change...

I claim very few divers have backup computers.

Interesting. I have not had this experience. I understand and know that if your ONLY computer craps out or locks you out, operators will make you sit out, but I have never come across an op that has discouraged having a backup and diving the more conservative one while keeping the more liberal as a backup, or not allowing the diver to dive when their primary crapped out and they were using their backup so long as it had the correct tissue loading, meaning they were dived together with the primary. It seems silly. Might you share who these operators are because I wouldn't want to dive with them.

I can understand why they do it, especially when it was on a liveaboard… If your pc screws up and you’re wearing two of them, how do you know which one is correct?

Imagine you wear 2 PCs, PC #1 screws up, you go on the next dive wearing PC #2, get bent and you’re in the middle of nowhere (like Socorro)… The boat would have to travel 8-10 hrs back to Socorro island from say Roca Partida just to get you airlifter out to get medical attention.

My .02 cents, I’d prefer to err on the side of caution and maintain a spotless safety record while providing the rest of the divers a perfect vacation.

My Caribbean LOB experience is asking for max depth and remaining air as I board. I have not noticed them peeking at my computer.

I've not seen it as a regular thing, not that I'm sure that I would notice. In general I've found most dive crews (especially on LOBs) are pretty aware of who is doing what especially after the first day and they get a feel for the divers. I think they've mastered "peaking" at lots of stuff without being obvious about it. :)

I can understand why they do it, especially when it was on a liveaboard… If your pc screws up and you’re wearing two of them, how do you know which one is correct?

Imagine you wear 2 PCs, PC #1 screws up, you go on the next dive wearing PC #2, get bent and you’re in the middle of nowhere (like Socorro)… The boat would have to travel 8-10 hrs back to Socorro island from say Roca Partida just to get you airlifter out to get medical attention.

My .02 cents, I’d prefer to err on the side of caution and maintain a spotless safety record while providing the rest of the divers a perfect vacation.
I confused. What are you trying to say?

If you dive all of your computers...

I confused. What are you trying to say?

He's saying getting bent is more of an inconvenience to other divers on the boat in remote locations so be considerate and dive more conservatively. Why diving a backup computer is going to get one bent is beyond my ability to reason.

Agreed. Stay away from those under water...

So in general the 24 sit out is really dependent on confused divers asking questions? Not a good plan.... Is this idea worth a separate thread?

LOBs ask for max depth and remaining air because it is sometimes required by the government (hello, Queensland, Australia) that they log this for whatever reason. They also use it as a way for divers to "check in" back on a boat so that they know they are not leaving anyone behind, sometimes in addition to an actual "I am here" roll call. Additionally, boats also use it to determine surface intervals and want to know what everyone has dived so they can account for that.

LOB nitrox is always membrane 32ish. Nothing to change...

I claim very few divers have backup computers.

I have been on 9 liveaboards that have been both membrane/banked as well as mixing. I have had it deviate from 32 or whatever it is supposed to be based on the trip on all 9 of them and I have had to change it many times, sometimes more than once a day. With that thinking that it doesn't change, there is no reason to even test your nitrox, and just assume it is 32, which we all know in execution, none of us does...Or at least, I hope not.

If you were diving the same computer together (meaning same nitrogen load and carried together on all dives together) but you were following the instructions of the 2nd computer and still got bent, there isn't much you can do there. People still get bent diving within NDL limits. I do understand your point about erring on the side of caution, as with places like Cocos Island, Galapagos, or Socorro where medical evacuation is very difficult and a long, arduous process.

Back
Top Bottom