Diving White Star or Gilboa Sun. March 25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aaron m.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking for dive buddy for either White Star or Gilboa tomorrow.

---------- Post added March 25th, 2012 at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was March 24th, 2012 at 10:27 PM ----------

Made it to White Star for a great dive.

vis was about10' at depth. temp was 41deg. I connected with a buddy and road up together. It was about 5' deeper than normal. wsq.jpg

Wow! The water is way up. The viz was pretty darn bad for White Star (but about average for Indiana quarries!). I assume there's been alot of rain recently?

Aaron,

Thanks for the report and the photo.

The photo says it all. That is low viz for WS.

Looks like you had a good time!

From another crazy wetsuit diver..

Dave.

I went to White Star once - was not that impressed. I drive from Ann Arbor, MI so WS or Gilboa are about the same distance. I have always had pretty good conditions at Gilboa. We were there the same day you were at WS - check out the video:120325 Gilboa.m4v - YouTube

I went to White Star once - was not that impressed. I drive from Ann Arbor, MI so WS or Gilboa are about the same distance. I have always had pretty good conditions at Gilboa. We were there the same day you were at WS - check out the video:120325 Gilboa.m4v - YouTube

White Star can be FABULOUS. I've been there when, from 45', you could look up and see the leaves on the trees blowing in the wind! The viz was easily 75'+. Just beautiful for a quarry. Now I typically dive Gilboa as it's closer, and I think it has more variety of depths and "stuff" to dive around. It has the deep side, road down and past the tubes, and large shallow shelf with stuff, maybe too much stuff even. Plus you can camp right next to the quarry. It too can have excellent viz. But I have to admit, I've experienced visibility at White Star that was superior to any other freshwater diving I've done except for FL springs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom