Diving while Canoeing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I've got an old Canoe that I thought it'd be fun to take out on the lake and try scuba diving from. Is the law such that all I need to do is put a dive flag on it and my buddy and I can dive from it to our heart's content?

Unless it's an outrigger, you may find a canoe to be a tad unstable for that. Let me know how it goes though... I've got a canoe too.

Good point, that a canoe will be difficult, my buddy and I will want to practice climbing in it near shore first. :) I figured it would be, I more just want to be able to put it in my log book.

So:
  • tie everything down
  • practice like crazy!
  • consider going somewhere that gets deep fast so if the canoe gets swamped we don't have to swim it back too far
Any other idea to make this a great dive? Wow, I guess I won't be able to let you know how it goes for a while. This post will have to be resurected this summer.

www.scubamazing.com:
I've got an old Canoe that I thought it'd be fun to take out on the lake and try scuba diving from. Is the law such that all I need to do is put a dive flag on it and my buddy and I can dive from it to our heart's content?

I really would not want to have all my stuff in a canoe when it tipped over, tied down or not. The only problem I see with such diving is that where are you going to dive? The diving here in general is poor, add the idea of gear loss due to an overturned canoe just to get in what is likely to be a low vis cold dive, and you have IMO the receipt for a very bad experience. :D :D

Not to bring you down, just make sure you realise what you could be in for.

Diving from a canoe can be done, and easily so . . . BUT

OUTRIGGERS ARE A MUST !!!!!

And gear handling, especially tanks, is of critical importance.

the K

I say no out-riggers just make sure someone has a camcorder to film it, and keep trying :)

Daxter:
I say no out-riggers just make sure someone has a camcorder to film it, and keep trying :)

I agree I think it'll be entertaining. Actually as long as i can be confident I won't lose anything, I always have fun in the water whether I'm at the surface or below. So it'll be fun no matter whether we end up swimming the boat back or not.

I have just what you need:

I am selling my less than a 1 year old and barely used (only 6-8 times) Trident Inflatable 2-Seat DiveYak (kayak) set-up....this is a complete package in excellant condition! The least expensive I have found this same set-up for is around $535.00 PLUS shipping from LeisurePro http://www.leisurepro.com/Cat/Contex...yaks/1089.html I am asking only $435.00obo!!! The set includes the DiveYak and the 2-seats,,foot pump inflator,,and DiveYak hardware on the DiveYak,,carrying case,,2-two piece double bladed padels and carrying case,,60' tow rope,,fold away anchor system and carrying case,,repair kits,,extra DiveYak fins,,LP inflator for inflating from a Scuba tank (19cf of air to fill in less than 4 minutes),,owners manual,,dive flag and mast for DiveYak--COMPLETE.
Easely fits in truck of car,,back seat. Easy to set up and deflate. Great for Scuba or just flat water kayaking. OK---why am I selling it-- I need the money to help fund my upcoming 5 day technical Advanced Wreck diving course schdl. for late summer on Lake Superior. PM me for any other information. I live in Arlington,Tx.. This is really a great deal. Alan

www.scubamazing.com
i own 2 canoes.
one is a grumman, the other is an old town.
sometimes when we float the the shenadoah we'll take the dive gear.
some of the river is shallow making "white" water.
near these falls there are deep holes any where from 8 to12 ft deep.
we will dive these holes and find "treasure".
when others shoot the rapids and flip their craft, what does not float sinks into these holes, making it treasure.
we used to fly our dive flag but had to stop because one day a lady "caught" me with her fishing pole.
when asked if they saw our diver down flag she said it was the flag and our bubbles that made her think we were fish.
most of the time now we just snorkle these holes
regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom