Diving Western New York / NE Ohio / NW Pennsylvania

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Going back home to the Jamestown area to visit my old man. Will be there from the end of next week until late September. What are the must see/must do dive sites in the area that are within the recreational scope? I'm already onboard for the Niagra drifts, and pending drysuit will surely spend a few days with Osprey and a weekend up at Tobermory. Beyond that I'm not finding much without going upstate or all the way out to Dutch.

How about local lakes - has anyone ever taken a shot at Allegheny Reservoir or Chautauqua Lake? I imagine it'd be pretty mucky this time of year (if not all year), but you never know. Are any of you Southern Tier guys looking for a temporary buddy or want to show a warm water wuss how it's done up there?

Did you go to Chautauqua? I'm headed that way this weekend and need to work on some diving skills. Who, what dive shop, did you use?

I used to live in Lakewood. If you are looking for dive site info for Chautauqua Lake contact JR Latona. He runs Underwater World, which is the only dive shop that I know of in Jamestown. If you are looking for a more substantial dive, try Dunkirk. I think there is at least one dive charter company still in operation in the area.

Kevin
Saratoga County NY

I would recommend doing a drift dive in the Niagara River. Dip-N-Dive in Tonawanda runs them. Also Discover Diving in Depew runs a group outing on Wednesday that does a drift dive in a different part of the Niagara River starting in a few weeks here.

*************************EDIT*****************************
Damn zombie post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

what I wasted my time typing:

Osprey, Osprey, Osprey....

This past Saturday morning was pretty nice. Washington Irving (120'), and the Brunswick (100'). Vis was in the 30's on the Brunswick, but crusty on the WI (less than 10 for some unknown reason), and the temp was low 40's. Captain and crew are top notch, and the boat is wonderful to dive off.... I don't mess with much else around here (and its an hour drive for me to get to Barcelona).

Dip-n-Dive also has a program going with a 6-pack boat out of Buffalo (Erie Basin)...

River, meh.....

BTW - there are three open spots on the Dip-n-Dive Tobermory trip July 19-21 according to their newsletter that was released yesterday.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom