Diving watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m the only male in my family that doesn’t own at least one Rolex (each has a Submariner). If I’m going to spend $7,000+ on a hobby... it’s going to have two or more wheels. Ex. Motorcycle, Jeep, etc. I can’t wrap my head around spending that kind of money on a watch, but that’s just my two cents.

For the money...you can’t beat a Citizen Eco-Drive.
My Rolexes have gone up 80% in the last year. Never seen a citizens, motorcycle or jeep do that. Kevin O’Leary says watches are an investment strategy. I agree.

And doubt anyone could find a legit Rolex of any kind for $7k. If you have one, I’ll buy it today.

Dive computer isn't == dive watch. Suunto is the first one reducing it to watch size and market it as a sports watch and that was in 1997. I do not have to google it because I had a Spyder end of 90ies. You will be surprised most dive computers did not show time unless you licked your fingers and browsed through the menus tapping the contacts.

Well you will not see me wearing a thick golden chain, nor a Rolex. Only emotional connection I can make with it is JYC was my childhood hero. Don't get me wrong it is fine looking watch but problem for me is what it represents nowadays.

Mine is still working fine, I do not use it for diving anymore, only for the opera nowadays. But thank you for the offer.

Actually IWC is using Cousteau name, I guess that is what he would use as daily because someone is being paid for the name.
You are mix-matching things. IF Cousteau wanted the best TOOL for DIVING as you wrote previously and the 1st Dive Computers were the size of a fridge he would wear them. Either we discuss about STYLE either TOOLS.

Regarding Rolex again, you are confusing things OR your circles are very, very weird. I don't wear any gold chains neither.

What the Submariner represents is what many envy and unfortunately cannot afford: THE DIVE WATCH that EVERYBODY recognizes worldwide. You can also get a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms if you prefer to be inconspicuous, it has a very similar history and heritage but is unknown among non-watch lovers.
As I said, wear it for a day and come back to talk again :wink:

Do not get a Submariner. The Seadweller is the way to go.
GH030048_Moment-X3.jpg

Dive with SD50b-X3.jpg

Hi El,
Thanks for the comments. I appreciate your research and info about lubrication. I do need some paint on the bezel numerals but Lume on the dial is practically enough to read by after just a short charge with a light source. The numbers on the back are B741-H31519 TA. The face says N-Japan-N and B741-H55547 KA. Not sure if that means anything different. What is ”the Japanese caliber".

While we are bragging about our Rolex watches, I have to show off mine. Don’t hate me.
View attachment 727528
It’s great as long as the battery holds out. 🤣

You are very welcome :)

It is weird that you have 2 reference numbers in the same watch... did you bought it new? If not, it could be that someone replaced parts of the watch that were damaged with any parts he could find online as long as they match...

A Caliber is the movement inside the watch. Many times Japanese manufacturers also produce their watches in other countries (ex. Seiko SKX007 can be Made in Japan or Malaysia). Citizen produce their watch movements in Japan but sometimes other parts of the watch are Made in China.

I am not hating at all, that's quite a vintage piece you have there. I believe it is from the 80s.
The only 'bad' thing IMO (with ALL Rolex of that period) is the hollow links, they tend to give away with age... otherwise, cool watch as I said AND mind that it has no battery, it is an automatic movement.
From my knowledge, only the Oysterquartz had a battery.

ps. IF you ever decide to polish that watch, get it to an authorized dealer, the majority of independent watchmakers will destroy the angles of the case! You'll pay much more but you will have a much more valuable watch in return as well.

Do not get a Submariner. The Seadweller is the way to go.View attachment 727561

View attachment 727563

The Red is amazing... and the 43mm the sweet spot IMO. I was in the list for the larger Cameron but decided to stay put (will regret it for sure). I have enough watches, at some point one need to stop :)

Kudos for diving it!

What are you 'double teaming' it with? From the strap it looks like a Suunto Zoop but from you taste in watches I believe you'll use something more expensive... (or is it a compass?)

I am of the opinion that there is no watch designed today that has any value in scuba diving. Maybe you could argue the suunto stinger is one but personally, I think suunto made a dive computer small enough to look like a casio. Therefore, I say that there is no such thing as a dive watch. Just watches that are waterproof to 100m or whatever depth rating they have.

Now, if you choose to take that watch diving with you, fine. Its kind of like me deciding to take a necklace with me when I dive. Its a personal choice. But no amount of marketing or calling a necklace a "dive necklace" will make that necklace have any utility during a dive.
The only watches rated for scuba diving are the ones a having an ISO 6425 Certification.
The depth rating varies from 200-6000 meters (new Omega Ultra Deep). Of course this is more of a Marketing gimmick as only Commercial Divers will descend beyond 300m.

Also check for a 'screw-down crown', push-in crowns aren't waterproof.

Any watch rated to 100m IS NOT WATERPROOF but only water resistant!

Many Dive Computers look like watches. Mind that the trend when the Stinger was launched was smaller watches. This changes often, 5 years ago, watches were really big (up to 46mm) and now it seems that we are going back to the 40-42mm. My D9 and D5 are considered 'normal' sizes for a 'wrist watch' today (the D9 is a little larger but I have the wrist to pull it off :) )

This one came into the store the other day (I own an estate jewellery/antique store). Original tags still with it at CAD$925/USD$725. Screw down crown, 200m, one way bezel... all the features and suitable for a dive with a formal dress code 🤣

IMG_8349.jpg

I love the Rolex DSSD 136660, but dang at 44 mm it's wayy too big for my wrist. I'll stick w/ Explorer II or Submariner. That's the size limit for me. And still won't wear one diving.
I'm also pretty sure I wouldn't wear my Tudor 79230N either.

The Red is amazing... and the 43mm the sweet spot IMO. I was in the list for the larger Cameron but decided to stay put (will regret it for sure). I have enough watches, at some point one need to stop :)

Kudos for diving it!

What are you 'double teaming' it with? From the strap it looks like a Suunto Zoop but from you taste in watches I believe you'll use something more expensive... (or is it a compass?)
I like this model much more than the Cameron Deepsea, but I may have to get one of those as well someday. In this picture I am also wearing a Zoop. But I have the Garmin Descent MK2 now and usually wear it on recreational dives. The only watch I will wear while working is a G-Shock; 99% of the time we don't go below 25 feet there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom