Diving watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seiko are also quite good :)
(no comment on the gas mix (or the ppo2 :)) as the pic was taken after changing gas to oxy to make it as a joke for a friend :) :) :) )
seiko deep.jpg

My "Day-to-Day" watch is a Stainless Steel TAG Heuer Formula 1, but when I go on a dive trip, it stays at home and I take an old Citizen Hyper Aqualand dive watch. It gives me most of the things that I log: Time in, Time out, dive time, max depth, temp. During the dive, it also gives me current depth.

OTgxZWNiOS5qcGd8fHx8fHwzODl4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

I once flooded my Omega Seamaster Diver when I somehow forgot to tighten the crown in the swimming pool. I was lucky it happened in the pool not in salt water. I took it for complete service at a Swiss watch repair center the next day (the staff and technicians were actually Swiss) and it was all OK after the repair. I think that it cost me around $100 or so. Although I do have it checked in a pressure pot every few years after battery change and it checks out OK, I never took the watch into water of any kind since I flooded it. I only wear it occasionally. It is around 35 years old now and has great sentimental value for me. I'll pass it on to my son some day. I wear a much less expensive "dive watch" when I teach in the pool now. I don't wear a dive watch in openwater at all. I have redundant dive computers that do the job for diving.
For me, an investment is something that I NEED or VALUE in my life and long term: stock, real estate, companies in which I invest. Not cars, watches, painting, art,... all those things whose cost I forget as soon as I use my credit card. Things that I would be upset to lose or to be robbed of but that would not fundamentally change my life.
I buy them as investment pieces. It would cost me thousands annually to service them. Rolex maintenance is cheap comparatively. $100-$200? Ha ha. Good luck. Breguet, Patek and AP much more to maintain. I adjusted the time on my Breitling and didn't tighten the crown properly before diving it. Shlt happens. Oops. Don't know any "collectors" of Tags.
For me, an investment is something that I NEED or VALUE in my life and long term: stock, real estate, companies in which I invest. Not cars, watches, painting, art,... all those things whose cost I forget as soon as I use my credit card. Things that I would be upset to lose or to be robbed of but that would not fundamentally change my life.
My view (unless you are a professional in it): if you buy something and still think about the price or the cost the next day, return it.

My view (unless you are a professional in it): if you buy something and still think about the price or the cost the next day, return it.

Yes, my watches are investment quality. That's why I buy them. All of them no matter the cost, are always bad at telling time. All that bs about Rolex being certified chronometers is bunk. A $20 Casio is a more accurate horological instrument. No, I don't worry about their current value. And no, I don't take them diving. Buying a Submariner as a diving watch is an egotistic pointless exercise. Investment and daily wrist usage - sure. My daily use? Apple watch. I just realized the connection between "horological and horlosie". And I'm a watch nut!

Here is the world's most hideous watch.

Hublot Masterpiece MP-05 LaFerrari 50 Days Power Reserve Men's Watch | eBay

Sea Dweller and Deep Sea? Just more of the same as Submariner except, bigger, clunkier, heavier and more expensive. As I recall, the depth limit for NDL diving is still 130 feet. Who needs a watch certified for over 1000?

Sea Dweller and Deep Sea? Just more of the same as Submariner except, bigger, clunkier, heavier and more expensive. As I recall, the depth limit for NDL diving is still 130 feet. Who needs a watch certified for over 1000?
for watches, the depth rating is a static depth.....so your watch will survive to 1000 ft if just sitting in a basket being lowered down.

if you add motion, like from swimming.....that adds pressure to the watch case.....

thats why watches rated for 100m are really only recommended for surface swimming.......and "divers" are almost always rated at 200m+

Hmmm. What do you think about the Rolex Sea-Dweller and Rolex Deepsea? :)

rx7diver

Same watches essentially. They don’t have the same desirability as a Submariner, so I’ve avoided as investments. I guess they’re great underwater but I would struggle to read their dials with my eyes at 60 feet.

My question then is whether a 3000 foot rated watch is less likely to leak at 100 feet than a submariner rated to 1000?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom