Diving watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And how many people with computers wear dive watches and a depth gauge as backups? If my Teric fails, I have my Peregrine on my other wrist.
Double condom as I said in another post...
In your case it makes much more sense obviously as you are already used to the same interface.

On the other hand, I don't blame them as long as they really know why they are using all these backup tools :)

I wear Rolex all the times, but not when diving. To much risk to damage the case or worse break the glass. For diving I use a very affordable Scuba Pro G2, not a big of it breaks, simply to replace at any dive shop.

I bought a citizen eco drive as a kind of commemorative statement when I started working in the industry years back.
About 12 yr ago I sent it in to have I can’t remember what fixed. It came back w the face out of alignment and a few days later the second hand fell off. No joke.
I contacted them and asked them to just send the money back from the repair, I was just gonna buy a different kind of watch.
They didn’t blink. They sent me a new eco drive.

I’m not a watch collector. I’ve no real interest. But I carry an analogue spg in my pocket and I figure w that and a watch I can work out stops etc in the event of a comp failure.

I am a (small) luxury watch collector an I own a Sub and a few other Rolex. YES, definitely but not diving with it as a dive computer will do everything you need in a much safer way.

I agree that you should buy what you like but mind that 10K retail price is a considerable amount so being able to recover your 'investment' (watches aren't really an investment) might be important for you. The other issue is that IF you are not already part of a Rolex dealer clientele, you will not be getting any new watch anytime soon. This is like a really weird egg & chicken thing... that means that you will pay way above retail to buy a used watch. Cheaper watches than that will mean very old, poorly maintained or really beaten watches (not always but usually). If you go the used route, opt for a reputable dealer that can stand by the watch with a warranty. Box and papers aren't a must but increase the value. Avoid eBay and other online platforms as scams are popular and some very good Chinese copies can fool watch connoisseurs...

The Submariner doesn't reflect that you are a Diver. Nor the Deep Sea. It is a luxury watch, a status symbol The same goes for my Omega SM 300. You can dive with them but you will put unnecessary scratches and risk a very expensive repair if flooded.

Mind that around the 10K mark, there are many luxury brands that offer recognizable dive watches (Panerai, Blancpain, etc). Personally and although I love the way they look and what they represent, I would rather spend my money in Rolex as the others will immediately depreciate in value.

If you still want to wear a Dive watch above water (who doesn't), at around 5K the Omega Sea Master 300 is a very good entry point. Some SM 600 are sold at a similar price, if you have the wrist to pull it off, they are also 600m solid watches. Below that, you have Rolex sister company Tudor and the many iterations of the Black Bay. The Tudor Pelagos is a great choice if you want a far more substantial 500m tool watch. Mind that the later is Titanium but NOT grade 5, this means that it will scratch much easier than the Stainless 316L of the Black Bay and even easier than the 904L stainless steel used in Rolex watches.
I am omitting Breitling as their dive watches are peculiar and the company is focused on pilots mostly. You might like them though.

At a similar price but not status, you can also get the 'tooltastic' German Sinn watches. It doesn't scream luxury like the others but it is made with U-Boat (Submarine) Steel AND if you get a Tegimented version, extremely hard to scratch (close to Ceramic).

Talking about Ceramic and scratch proof (can break if dropped), Longines makes the HydroConquest at a very good price (for a Ceramic) especially compared to other Swatch Group brands, like Omega.
It also produces some classic dive watches and just launched a high beat version (Ultra-Chron). Tag Heuer Aquaracers are very well built and known but somehow underrated in hard core watch circles (don't agree), followed by Oris, Bell & Ross and lately Rado with the (new) Ceramic Captain Cook (the original Steel 37mm is also super cool). Lastly, the Tissot Seastar is the last of the 'known' brands, it offers good value for money.

On the lower spectrum, if you want a watch with solid history, check Fortis, Doxa and Squale.

I've put all these watches with a decreasing price and status / brand recognition level.

Regarding the Japanese offerings, Grand Seiko is priced at Omega (and above) level and although their movements and cases are very well finished (their Zaratsu case polishing is legendary), they are quite dividing, some people love them, some refuse to pay that much money for a Seiko, Grand or not. Their clasps are crap by the way.

Seiko makes some of the greatest dive watches (Tuna, SKX, etc). If you can still find the now discontinued Seiko SKX007 GET IT. It is ISO certified to 200m while the Series 5 that replaced it is just s**t.
Citizen Eco drive are also reliable watches for the job.

IF you are going to wear your watch and take care of it above water, I would definitely go for any of the mid-high tear brands. IF you are going to use your watch UW, get a Seiko.

Casio watches are great but not my thing. I like mechanical stuff.

I insist that you get a Diving Computer for diving instead...
Sorry for the long post but I gigged out :)

I have two Rolex watches. My first is a Pepsi GMT II that i bought around 2005. The other is an original Yacht Master about a year or two later.

I paid under $5k for my GMT, and around $7k for my Yacht Master. In recent years I could double, or even triple, my investment in the GMT. I think I might be lucky to get $10k for the YM, but I haven't looked it up lately. It was a long while before I could get back what I paid for it, and I have not paid sticker price either watch.

Once thing with Rolex, there is so much free money out there, you can't find any stainless watches on the market. And even white and yellow gold ones are not readily available.

I have two Rolex watches. My first is a Pepsi GMT II that i bought around 2005. The other is an original Yacht Master about a year or two later.

I paid under $5k for my GMT, and around $7k for my Yacht Master. In recent years I could double, or even triple, my investment in the GMT. I think I might be lucky to get $10k for the YM, but I haven't looked it up lately. It was a long while before I could get back what I paid for it, and I have not paid sticker price either watch.

Once thing with Rolex, there is so much free money out there, you can't find any stainless watches on the market. And even white and yellow gold ones are not readily available.
Hi Snoweman,

I wrote 'investment' using the symbols '' on purpose as I believe we shouldn't see them as investments as the watch market could 'crash' eventually but perhaps as a 'safety banquet' as Rolex rarely lose their value. In my case, I see them as a nice accessory that I really enjoy to wear but that I can resale after many years and basically don't lose what I paid for. That's great already :)

My Batgirl was selling until recently in the black / used market for almost 30K, I paid 9K for it. If I had sold it, then YES, that would have been a nice investment. On the other hand, IF Rolex realizes that, you are off 'the list' so good luck getting a new watch again at retail price...
Discontinued Rolex models tend to increase in value but others simply maintain their value over the years. You also need to account for inflation, your GMT is the perfect example, 7K in 2005 equal - according to and online inflation calculator - to $10,362.33 today. So basically you made a little profit. Mind that Rolex also increases slightly the prices of its watches every year.
I bought my Explorer II Polar White 2 years ago for 7.350€, the price today is 8.800€ (it has the updated movement though). IMO, a Daytona, Hulk or Cameron are guaranteed to go up in price. The rest is (kind of) gambling.

Steel watches are extremely difficult to find and that's why the prices are kept very high. It is very well known that Rolex limits the availability of sport watches indirectly controlling the brand value and used market. Omega or Breitling on the other hand, overflow the market reducing their prices considerably even on brand new models.

Hi Snoweman,

I wrote 'investment' using the symbols '' on purpose as I believe we shouldn't see them as investments as the watch market could 'crash' eventually but perhaps as a 'safety banquet' as Rolex rarely lose their value. In my case, I see them as a nice accessory that I really enjoy to wear but that I can resale after many years and basically don't lose what I paid for. That's great already :)

My Batgirl was selling until recently in the black / used market for almost 30K, I paid 9K for it. If I had sold it, then YES, that would have been a nice investment. On the other hand, IF Rolex realizes that, you are off 'the list' so good luck getting a new watch again at retail price...
Discontinued Rolex models tend to increase in value but others simply maintain their value over the years. You also need to account for inflation, your GMT is the perfect example, 7K in 2005 equal - according to and online inflation calculator - to $10,362.33 today. So basically you made a little profit. Mind that Rolex also increases slightly the prices of its watches every year.
I bought my Explorer II Polar White 2 years ago for 7.350€, the price today is 8.800€ (it has the updated movement though). IMO, a Daytona, Hulk or Cameron are guaranteed to go up in price. The rest is (kind of) gambling.

Steel watches are extremely difficult to find and that's why the prices are kept very high. It is very well known that Rolex limits the availability of sport watches indirectly controlling the brand value and used market. Omega or Breitling on the other hand, overflow the market reducing their prices considerably even on brand new models.

I see your point. FYI, with the GMT, I paid less than $5k. It was the Yacht Master that was around $7k.

I've owned a suunto stinger and an omega seamaster 300m since ~1995. The omega i wear 48 weeks in a year and never on a dive. Apart from the fact my current teric or any past suunto computers completely defect its purpose, i think the quartz watch took care of that decades ago.

Hi Snoweman,

I've owned a suunto stinger and an omega seamaster 300m since ~1995. The omega i wear 48 weeks in a year and never on a dive. Apart from the fact my current teric or any past suunto computers completely defect its purpose, i think the quartz watch took care of that decades ago.
Owned a Stinger also. Unfortunately it gave up on me after many years of hard use. Extremely good looking and capable dive computer. Miss the rugged look in today's DCs.

The same with my D9 that was basically in immaculate condition... :(
In the US I believe there was a lawsuit due to the pressure sensor corroding, in EU we basically 'shoved them up our a**ses...'

As I never learn, I use a D5 now.

Hi Snoweman,

Owned a Stinger also. Unfortunately it gave up on me after many years of hard use. Extremely good looking and capable dive computer. Miss the rugged look in today's DCs.

The same with my D9 that was basically in immaculate condition... :(
In the US I believe there was a lawsuit due to the pressure sensor corroding, in EU we basically 'shoved them up our a**ses...'

As I never learn, I use a D5 now.
I had a d5 after the stinger but i sold it and got a teric since i found the middle button annoying (unintentional presses) and the battery life was actually a bit too limiting for me on intensive diving schedules with high illumination. Otherwise it did look great functioned well enough for its purpose. I liked it, though i can't turn back from shearwater i am afraid.

I had a d5 after the stinger but i sold it and got a teric since i found the middle button annoying (unintentional presses) and the battery life was actually a bit too limiting for me on intensive diving schedules with high illumination. Otherwise it did look great functioned well enough for its purpose. I liked it, though i can't turn back from shearwater i am afraid.
No problem with the button here (fortunately).

The Teric looks like a very solid choice. I got my Suunto with the transmitter for 650€ because of a corporate benefit discount offered to the company I work for :)

As my eyes are getting worse (using reading bifocals), I might switch to a bigger screen in the future... although the Garmin Descent Mk2 is quite sexy as well...

Back
Top Bottom