Diving Virginia's Eastern Shore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buckled plates

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I own and operate a six pack dive boat in the Florida Keys (Big Pine Key, dieuleveutdiving.com), and I'm thinking of moving the service to Virginia's Eastern Shore during the summer months June - August. Although I live in the town of Wachapreague (ocean side, roughly mid-way between the Chincoteague and Cape Charles) and I've fished the ocean off the coast here for the last 20 years, I've never done any diving in this area. We have a number of wrecks and artificial reefs within 10 - 20 miles of shore (depths 50 - 110 fsw) and all are rarely - if ever these days - visited by divers; additionally, I have a few small wrecks that are unknown even to the finishing community and, I suspect, have never been explored by divers at all. In any case, I'm wondering if there's enough interest in the diving community to support a dive service to these sites. Also, I'd be very interested in speaking to anyone who has experience diving the following wrecks: Francis E. Powell (torpedoed by U-boat); SS Monroe (collision with the SS Nantucket); and the Barnegat (barge sunk by U-boat deck gun).

Finally, these sites are remote in the sense that the nearest dive shop is in Virginia Beach (about 60 miles away) and although my boat is professionally equipped for diving, I do not provide any gear. Tanks, weights, and such must be provided by the diver.

Any thoughts, info, would be sincerely appreciated!

It would depend on the quality of your operation. Diving in that region can be a tad bit sporty, and if your operation isn't on point, the regular divers won't want anything to do with you. It's basically the same crowd of divers that dive in Ocean City. If you have your shot together and are fairly priced, you need to publish a schedule for your entire season during the winter months. Start collecting your fees via your website, and book well in advance. That being said, plan on losing 30% or more of your dive days based on weather.

Additionally, a 20' boat is pissing in the wind when you are considering carrying 6 mid atlantic divers. What price schedule would you be setting? Divers up here generally aren't willing to pay more for a charter when deck space and amenities are significantly less than the competition. I'm not discouraging you...just being realistic. I would limit your boat to 3-4 divers honestly. There just isn't enough room, this ain't the keys you know.

Yes, having fished these waters for many years, I agree with all of your points. My present boat, though adequate for couples (couples and threesomes are all I serve) while diving the Keys, is wholly inadequate for the formidable conditions offshore here. Additionally, since there is no tow boat operator in this area and since the USCG no longer provides tows for common breakdowns, a 30+ foot boat AND engine redundancy is a must. In all, the challenges to running a dive op here are huge, with liability issues and $$ costs to match. Probably why there aren't any. Too bad, though. For general diving and spearfishing in particular, the sites I have in mind I'm hold promise.

Thank you for your thoughts!

For general diving and spearfishing in particular, the sites I have in mind I'm hold promise.

Thank you for your thoughts!

They hold more than promise...they hold Tog, flounder and some big ass lobster. If you want to go scout them, let me know and I'll drive up and help out.

Yep, I know they do. I've pulled doormats from those wrecks, and those were the dummies that went for a hook! Plenty of lobster, too. Local commercial guy who puts out pots for sea bass sells the bugs he catches on the side, and they're huge. What I need, Tom, is a crew of two VERY experienced divers willing to help me troubleshoot this thing. Overall it's doing well in the Keys but, like you said, this ain't the Keys, so I need guys who see the safety, comfort, and efficiency issues regarding the boat, and can provide a qualified judgement regarding the dives. Also be helpful if you guys provided some bottom photos for the website, etc. Best to start in shore at the artificial reef at Paramore Banks, (a liberty ship, barge, subway cars, and military personnel carries that have been on the bottom for years), and then put into practice what I've learned on the other three wrecks I mentioned on another day. The boat is small (Grady 208), but properly equipped with all safety gear (including an ELT, first aid kit, and DAN emergency O2). It's got a small but professional grade dive platform, a solid ladder, and tank racks, and I'm a Master 50 GRT, PADI divemaster, and a DAN DEMP. Also have some 5 star trip advisor reviews from experienced divers in the Keys (Big Pine Key, Dieu le Veut Diving).

I'll cover the full cost of the boat operation associated with these trips. All you guys need to provide is your own dive gear, the effort to get here, and a good attitude as we sort out the problems. If it makes sense, you guys like what you see/experience, I'll look at taking it public and work toward a bigger boat and operation from there. I'm retired and free to go (weather permitting) anytime between now and about the 23rd. Come up in the morning and we'll be off the dock by 1000. You guys will be in the water an hour later (assuming I set the hook fast!) Hah! Problem number one!

Might be worth driving down from NJ!

Ray

I can make a trip or 2 up there. My schedule is hectic for the next couple months, but I'm sure I can work something out. I'm sure Ray could help you out from a marketability standpoint.

Reactions: RJP
That'd be great, guys, your effort and support would be sincerely appreciated. I think there could be some good diving out of here (at least through July and August). The most limiting thing is the sea condition, the forecasts rarely correct. Last two days a good example. Forecast calls for winds 5 knots/seas 2' Reality? Light winds, but still 3-4' seas with a nasty chop on top (as reported by friends who've been out fishing). And that's well inside the wreck sites. Could be better…or a whole lot worse further out.Anyway, I'd truly appreciate your help and will do all I can to make it work. Cell service here is spotty. My landline is 757-302-1080. Give me a call anytime it's convenient and we'll talk it over. I've updated my website adding a "summer" page. Tells it like it is, I think. See if I get any interest!Steve

I would be willing to help out as well if you need an additional person. I worked as a DM on a boat in the FL Panhandle and have a boat we can do some surveying dives for a few people.

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind! Working out the anchoring issues now. If I do this as a charter boat, I'll need to find a way to set and release the hook safely and reliably myself. No DMs, mates, I can rely on nearby and, beside that, I need to start small. Not sure there's any demand. Bigger boat, employees, high cost...expensive flop if it fails. I'll send you a note if I get it worked out. Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Another issue I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts about: Would you be comfortable diving off a boat in remote and isolated waters (I rarely see another vessel in the vicinity of these wrecks), with just the captain standing watch?

Back
Top Bottom