Diving twins with manifold and isolator, but 1 reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

correct, basically to go to doubles you are in for the manifold, bands, and a new BC at a minimum, that is assuming you do it when your aluminum tanks need a vip, otherwise add vip to the cost. Minimum of $500. What Ken said is the main reason to not dive doubles with a single regulator. If that knob gets bumped you are dumping a LOT of gas really fast. Better off to buy some used tanks. They show up on Craigslist pretty regularly. Remember that HP120's are very long, and if you are not, then they will be uncomfortable.

correct, basically to go to doubles you are in for the manifold, bands, and a new BC at a minimum, that is assuming you do it when your aluminum tanks need a vip, otherwise add vip to the cost. Minimum of $500. What Ken said is the main reason to not dive doubles with a single regulator. If that knob gets bumped you are dumping a LOT of gas really fast. Better off to buy some used tanks. They show up on Craigslist pretty regularly. Remember that HP120's are very long, and if you are not, then they will be uncomfortable.

Thank you. Did some more reading just now on the trim of the 120's vs 100's, and the air capacity of both vs the Al80's. It might wind up being a complete wash financially if I wanted to "upgrade" to a HPS 100 (because I'm not a tall guy, normal 5'10"), due to the minimal gain in air volume when I already have 2 Al80's.

So maybe I should just rehydro my Al80's and deal with a short tank swap surface interval...

if you want to double your bottom time, you need to get tanks like HP130's, they are big, they are heavy, but will double your gas capacity. Otherwise, just come up and swap tanks, if you're spearfishing in that shallow of water, it is pretty negligible to surface for 20 minutes

Yes it can be done, the downsides have been pointed out above. I use an old j-valve manifold that has only one reg mount, it basically makes two tanks into one big tank which is what you will be doing.

I'd do it if I only one reg and had to buy a manifold instead of using the one that I had laying around. I would probably have some creative use of duct tape as well.

Bob

You don't want to spearfish with doubles in the Gulf unless you are diving super deep or something. I dive single steel tanks, almost exclusively.. 108's, a 95 I think, some 125's, and a 149.

dumpsterDiver - how do you like that 149?

I was looking at them vs a hp120 and thinking that may be the way to go.

It is basically the same as my faber 121's or 125's is what they call them. The old tanks have 2400 psi stamped on them, the new one says 3500 psi.. (something close to that). I'm not sure if it weighs any different than the old tanks.

The big tank is cool for spearfishing in the Gulf.. I take a small pony and can get 2 dives from the tank and often add another 800-1000 psi with a whip after 2 dives and get a third dive from it.

I also have a HP 120.. ashai ?? tank .. but never use it.. That tank is a little longer i think, not near as heavy and a lot thinner.

at 5'10 you aren't tall enough to dive a 149 properly.... No offense, but they are wicked long, and the only way to dive it would be to have a BP/W or BC with two cam straps to get the first stage all the way up and even then it will be most of the way to your knees

I'm almost 5 9. I'm gonna demand a refund from the shop...good timing too, I think the tank is almost due for hydro

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom