Diving twins with manifold and isolator, but 1 reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boosted98gsx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Is there any way to dive a pair of aluminum 80's with a manifold such as this:

DGX Premium Dual-Outlet Manifold w/Isolator | Dive Gear Express®

but only use 1 set of regulators to breathe both tanks? Is this advisable? If not, why?

I am looking to prolong bottom time in shallow water (30-40 ft) on EAN/36 without having to dump my pair of tanks for a steel cylinder.

Thanks!

One word: redundancy.

Having two first stages, you can route each regulator from each outlet.

The beauty of twin tanks diving with an isolator is such that when you have failure in either of the first stages, you can isolate and still breathe on the second set of regulators.

There are more to it that I you can read it from here:Why use double tanks? | Ask Living Seas

Hope this helps!

Possible, wouldn't advise it though, because redundancy is sweet.

As for "Ask Living Seas" as source... well... let's just say that guy seems to have a few issues with common sense and knowledge about scuba. Definitely not a good source of information, in my (not so) humble opinion.:(

Last edited:
Actually..

Having only one first stage on a dual outlet manifold means if you accidentally bump a handwheel, you're going to lose a lot of gas quickly. You should never have a tank in the water without a reg on each valve.

As far as breathing from both tanks via just one of the regulators, that's how a dual valve manifold works. While the isolator valve is open, you will always get gas from both cylinders no matter which regulator you are using.

at 30', just grab a simple piston first like a used SP MK-2 (say $50), separate your seconds, and set it up the correct way.....

Well then I suppose from an economics standpoint, if I have to rehydro both my Al80's, replace the old K valves to a manifold, and get a tech diving BC, would it not be more wise to sell the Al80's and pick up a HPS 120 if my goal is to elongate my bottom time?

I would recommend setting it up with two first stages and two second stages otherwise the isolator does you no good if you shut it down then you have no air. If you absolutely must dive it with one first stage then I would use a oring gas saver din plug in the unused side that way if the handle gets bumped you arnt hemorrhaging gas out the unused post.

If I went that route, that's what I would do to the "un-regulated" valve.

Well then I suppose from an economics standpoint, if I have to rehydro both my Al80's, replace the old K valves to a manifold, and get a tech diving BC, would it not be more wise to sell the Al80's and pick up a HPS 120 if my goal is to elongate my bottom time?
If your goal is to increase your bottom time, the answer is not to use a gear solution to a skills problem, the solution is to get out and dive more. Spend your weekends in the Green Latrine (Blue Lagoon) and practice. Practice your trim, practice your buoyancy, quit smoking, actually use the gym membership, get in the water and dive your tail off.

It works...

If your goal is to increase your bottom time, the answer is not to use a gear solution to a skills problem, the solution is to get out and dive more. Spend your weekends in the Green Latrine (Blue Lagoon) and practice. Practice your trim, practice your buoyancy, quit smoking, actually use the gym membership, get in the water and dive your tail off.

It works...

Thanks, but I don't smoke, and I swim miles for my workout. I want to get out into the gulf and do some fish hunting. I miss diving the salt.

Back
Top Bottom