Diving twins advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Oxycheq Recon should be here today:eyebrow:. I broke down my doubles a couple years ago and have been diving them independent backmount with velcro doubles bands, a lot easier hauling them around as singles. I tried sidemount this spring with the Dive Rite demo days at Gilboa and liked it instantly, the selling point for me was having the valves were I can see and reach them. I've heard once you get your rig setup using different tanks is no problem to trim out.
I saw the Recon at Vortoberfest this past weekend, though he didn't have it set to dive. It looks interesting. I am working on modifying a Zeagle Express Tech at about a third the price, I think I am going to like it just fine. Pool tomorrow!

So are you looking at selling a backmount setup then?
Not currently. I'm a gear hog. It about killed me to give a backplate to a worthy individual this past weekend. :D

A cheap way to start is to get yourself a set of double AL80s. A V-weight takes care of the weighting issues. You can dive them dry or wet (unlike twin steels that require a dry suit). If you already have AL80s just get the bands, manifold and bolts and you're good to go! If you don't have AL80s, you can get cheap used ones anywhere.

Furthermore, twin AL80s are very manageable from a trim perspective and are so light that they're easy to man-handle (I think they're only about 90 pounds full). They're great for learning.

When you eventually decide for spend a small fortune for steel, you'll already have the hardware (bands, manifold, etc.), and you can convert the AL80s back to singles.

That being said, twin AL80s don't make sense in a cold water environment when you're wearing a dry suit with a lot of insulation. The weight requirements are obnoxious.

Oh I don't know. I dive independant twin Al80's dry and I quite like em. For stretching a rec profile they give me all the gas I need + a healthy reserve. 28lb's-32lb's of lead + 4lb backplate depending on the undergarments which seems roughly on par with other divers using steel (If you factor in the weight of the tanks).
If you see tech in your future though, the 80's probably won't give you the gas you need (though they can be broken down and used as stages). I think Al80's get a bad rap because most people using doubles are passing through rec on the way to tech.
I always thought I'd want ST100's but then I used some HP 120's and really liked them (size, trim wise) especially compared to the larger diameter HP 130's. They are probably the ones I will go with when/if I buy steel down the road.

If you get AL80 for doubles with potential usage as stages get Luxfers of Hy Mark. They are butt light and float more comfortable even when they are full. However when you use them as doubles you will most likely need to move your weight to the butt to compensate for that. Catalinas are butt heavy and they work better for doubles. I use my wife's Catalina for a stage from time to time and only after I breath out 1/3 of the tank does it settle nice under the armpit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom