Diving Twin Lakes Saturday Morn

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cudabait, yes, my son and I made 3 dives. surface temp was 74, temp at 43ft was 64. viz was very good for lake.

Sorry we missed you Bill.

We made it back on Sunday, the visibility was definitely suffering from the activity on Saturday. I would say that anyone who has the opportunity to dive there during the week should jump on it.

We took some frozen corn with us, though the largemouth bass didn't particularly care for it, they were more interrested in protecting their spawning beds. Beware the ninja attack bass! The smallmouth bass were very friendly, to the point of begging. They wouldn't eat the kernals from my hand, but as soon as I let them go they snapped them up. They swarmed around us and followed and would swim right up to the baggie and wait to be fed. They didn't seem to have any problem with letting me touch them as long as the food was flowing, but after I ran out of corn they would come investigate, but were more skittish about being touched.

The thermocline was right around 14' and I didn't care to find out how much colder it could get below that.

BTW, when we were getting ready to leave the house Sunday morning, my wife asked if we had everything, I replied "would you like to take an inventory?" (with heavy sarcasm). Well...I had packed everything except the tanks. What with the ration of crap I gave her for forgotting her mask on Saturday, I felt obligated to order myself some crow for breakfast at Kelly's.

overandover:
We took some frozen corn with us, though the largemouth bass didn't particularly care for it, they were more interrested in protecting their spawning beds. Beware the ninja attack bass! The smallmouth bass were very friendly, to the point of begging. They wouldn't eat the kernals from my hand, but as soon as I let them go they snapped them up. They swarmed around us and followed and would swim right up to the baggie and wait to be fed. They didn't seem to have any problem with letting me touch them as long as the food was flowing, but after I ran out of corn they would come investigate, but were more skittish about being touched.

Please don't do this. It's not their natural food, it's not their natural behaviour, and there's no good to come from it. Some of us like observing nature and wildlife in it's natural state and this is destroyed when schools of fish learn to swarm you looking for a handout. Plus, I've had my ears pecked and I've seen people with their ears bloodied.

I agree please don't feed the fish. It makes them aggressive. It really is difficult to DM a class who are doing their mask removal skills and a fish comes up and bites their ear and or lip during the skill. It's not just a peck either, it's a bloody mess. Fish don't eat hot dogs, cheese whiz, corn, etc. etc.

How is the plant life this year at TL? I miss the green stuff, there's none here in Lake Travis (like diving on the moon...)

I totally agree....please don't feed the fish. I've been going to TL since before it was officially open and I can definately attest to the fact that feeding changes the fish. Yes, it's cool to have them follow you around the lake and parade in front of you but bloody ears and appendages are NOT cool. My .5ml shorty has several bite marks on it and Beast started wearing a hood year round just to keep his ears in tact.

Not to mention the fact that corn, vienna sausage, weiners, peanut butter, etc. is not natural food to fish and it can eventually kill them.

Exactly,

This is just another reason for my continued opposition to "shark feedings" to create photo ops for divers. We are teaching the animals to associate humans with food, regardless of the manner in which it is done. I think we've learned someting from the bears.

Regards,

There was plenty of plant life. Some stuff that has small round leaves that covers a lot of the bottom, interspersed at different locations with spots of tall grass(-looking stuff).

First of all, my apologies to Bill for changing the context of his thread. Maybe after this you are just as content that we missed meeting each other. If not, when we do meet I'll promise not to feed the fish if it offends you as it does some others.

On the matter of feeding the fish at TL;
In this instance, I disagree. This is an environment that has been artificially created for divers, it is not a nature preserve. It is just as artificial for a horde of us divers to jump in the water with those same fish every weekend, as are the trailer/bus/plane/boats that are put in the water for divers to use.

If the owner or managers have a problem with it, I would have hoped that they would have said something. Perhaps they were trying to be polite by not saying anything and hoping for improvement in my behavior as my knowledge of diving increases, next time I'm there I'll ask if they mind. I judge that I am not the first person to feed the fish by the behavior of those people, or that of the fish.

As far as killing the fish by feeding them corn, puh-lease. I see no harm in frozen corn or peas. Now the nitrates in potted meat, or the yellow death that squirts out of a can...maybe you have a point there. I do, however, agree that feeding them does make them more aggressive, it's just that I've never met a person who has come out of a pond having been made a "bloody mess" by the bass therein. I guess that since it has never happened to me nor anyone that I know, it is hard for me to believe that a bass of the size I saw in TL could draw blood or leave a bite mark on a wetsuit. Dee, this has really happened to you, by a freshwater fish?

All that being said, I also think that feeding sharks is stupid and dangerous. I also hadn't thought about the nuisance that it would be to have to teach a class being distracted by a bunch of little beggars. That part actually makes some sense to me. Not touching the reef critters or feeding the reef fish that 400,000 people a year, besides myself would like to be able to enjoy-that makes sense to me.

I'm stubborn, but really not all that stupid. Convince me of a good reason for doing, or not doing something, and I'll be willing to change.

Seriously, the fish, bite hard, and people have been left bruised and bloody from bites on their lips and ears. I sold over 50 beanies last year to divers that go to CSSP in Terrell because of the perch. Do a search on "perchana", it's no joke. They even went so far as to have a spear fishing hunt this past fall to thin out the perch.

Debraw:
Do a search on "perchana", it's no joke. They even went so far as to have a spear fishing hunt this past fall to thin out the perch.

Will do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom