Diving trips with non-divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetsuit

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi. I'm planning a trip to Caribbean/Yucatan in Spring. Does anyone have suggestions for a destination with great diving AND "upscale" landside activities for a non-diving spouse? Like shopping, historical sites, hiking, nature walks.

Thanks!

wetsuit:
Hi. I'm planning a trip to Caribbean/Yucatan in Spring. Does anyone have suggestions for a destination with great diving AND "upscale" landside activities for a non-diving spouse? Like shopping, historical sites, hiking, nature walks.QUOTE]

"Great diving" is mutualy exclusive with "upscale...shopping" .

The impact of terrestrial development sufficient to create an infrastructure that will support "upscale" anything will cause sedimentary run-off to an extent that it will degrade the immediately surrounding reefs.

You can get a modicum of both in Cayman. Other options?

1) Enroll the spouse in dive/snorkel lessons.

2) Trade up spouses, this will never work.

Trade up spouses, this will never work.
Is that why Divorce Lawyers are so close to Dive Shops in the Yellow Pages.

One other possibility is Cozumel, as it's been ruined by the cruise ships, so you can find your upscale shopping, the temple the Myans used to visit for fertility, and other sites on the south end and backside away from town.. It's a short ferry ride to PDC if she wants to explore a little further. And the Gulf Stream branch we lovingly call the Cozumel Drift Dive does keep the reef healthy, in spite of civilization. :bandit_2:

Definitely Bonaire! The diving is spectacular and there is a lot of eco-friendly activities above water. If she snorkles I highly recommend Renee Snorkle Trips. There are a lot of guided tours on land. You can walk anywhere without being worried. I am grounded from diving right now, but hubby still dives when we go away. I love to go to a couple of the dive sites with him and find a sandy spot and ready (especially Ole' Blue, Donkey Beach, Andrea I, Red and White Slaves). When you arrive, you can find a pamphlet with all the "top" side things to do. I also love Rincon on Saturdays for the market, shopping in town, mountain biking, long walks, kayaking...so much to do. Please feel free to email me with further questions!

Liz

I would recommend Curacao for your situation. The diving is great, the resorts cater to divers and non-divers, Willemstad has every kind of shop she could imagine, there is a national park to hike in, museums and many points of interest to tour. Marriott on Curacao gets consistently good reviews and will provide the more upscale experience your spouse is wanting as well as the great diving you're seeking.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom