Diving the Yongala

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am tentatively looking at travelling to Australia next summer with the family, and I was hoping to try and dive the Yongala whilst I was there (if you are that close - relatively speaking of course).

I had initially assumed that this would mean making a long trek to Ayr, Queensland, but doing a bit of digging, it seems that more tourists dive it from Townsville.

Anyone have any input on the most straightforward way to dive the wreck?

I dove out of Ayr (more specifically Alva Beach) with Yongala Dive. Great operation, good equipment, and a decent little hostel/hotel to stay at the night before. It takes 2-3 hours to get to the Yongala from Townsville and just 30 minutes from Alva Beach, so you easily make up the extra 45-60 minutes by car trip from Townsville to Ayr. Furthermore, sometimes the ride on the boat can get rough, so I'd definitely take the shorter boat ride. Hope this helps.

I dove the Yongal on Mike Ball's Spoilsport for 2 days. Saw many dive boats come and go during that time. Many were inflatables. The weather was pretty breezy during that time and the inflatables (and all others) were having a hard time. If going from Townsville, just make sure you are getting a decent sized boat to help endure the long ride.

A group of us flew into Townsville and made the drive to Ayr, and went out with Yongala Dive. The benefit of going with them is that the wreck isn't THAT far away from the shore launch, whereas if you make the trip out of Townsville it pretty much takes most of the day to get there.

I guess it really depends on if you are going to fly into Townsville, go diving, stay the night and then fly out - or if you are thinking of staying a couple days in/around the area.

Good luck either way, the Yongala is an awesome dive!

if someone hasn't told you already, it's advisable to have a few days up your sleeve for the Yongala. if you get good weather you'll want to dive it more than once, but it's a regular occurance that one or 2 days might be knocked out due to weather.

there are people in my dive shop who have spent a week on the beach doing not much else but drowning their sorrows.

Mike Ball doesnt run there any mor enad as mentioed above teh hsort travel time more than outweighs the "comfort" of travelling in a larger boat from Towsville.
The Ayr trip takes only 12 passengers and the boat is a RHIB but fast, and you are there for teh dives. 40mins from Ayr and 3 hours from Townsville.

Here is a bit of info on them both Yongala Wreck Dives From Ayr Or Townsville

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cairns Discount Dive And Snorkel Trips. Live Aboard And Day Trips To The Great Barrier Reef

Back
Top Bottom