Diving the Vancouver Sea Wall?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cc87

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone ever attempted to dive the Sea Wall in Stanley Park? I'm on the hunt for the elusive Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker, and I was flipping through Marine Life of the Pacific Northwest, and underneath the picture of the lumpsucker, it says it was taken at Stanley Park, Vancouver Harbor! Apart from the obvious hazards of being swept away into the shipping lane, I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried as I couldn't find anything on the BC Parks website about diving being prohibited there.
Just curious

(Other life that was apparently found there includes Ribbon Snailfish, Smoothhead Sculpin,and a Longnose Skate) :wink:

Are you sure it wasn't at the Vancouver Aquarium in Stanley Park (semi-joking)? When I lived in the Vancouver area, I always wanted to dive at Prospect Point (I think that's what it's called) under the Lion's Gate bridge. The wreck of the Beaver, a few knots of current and the closest bull kelp bed to Vancouver.... From what I remember there was no convenient vehicle access though. The Harbour Master can restrict you from diving there, but I don't know if you can be charged after the fact.

Are you sure it wasn't at the Vancouver Aquarium in Stanley Park (semi-joking)? When I lived in the Vancouver area, I always wanted to dive at Prospect Point (I think that's what it's called) under the Lion's Gate bridge. The wreck of the Beaver, a few knots of current and the closest bull kelp bed to Vancouver.... From what I remember there was no convenient vehicle access though. The Harbour Master can restrict you from diving there, but I don't know if you can be charged after the fact.

So far I know (from my friend) - it's not prohibited to dive over there, however there is a very heavy boat traffic... could be very dangerous, especially in combination with strong currents. I can ask him about the information's source.

I know someone who was dropped off and did a quick dive off Stanley Park. Apparently they came up near the kids' water park and enjoyed a gear rinse among some very curious kids. I don't remember hearing about the legality of it but sometimes it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission anyway.

That said, I've seen lumpsuckers in the shallows at Kelvin Grove on several occasions.

I've often wondered about diving near Siwash Rock/ 3rd beach. Vehicle access, often appears to be good viz. I had previously been told it was no dice legally, never really pursued it though.

Cool, thanks for the info guys! I'll have to spend a bit more time playing around in the shallows at Kelvin Grove I guess :) I might have to go check the seawall out in the winter time, when boat traffic dies down a bit, and viz gets better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom