Diving the Spiegel Grove this Weekend - Any Guesses on Current?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IncreaseMyT

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be out there on my boat this weekend and me and my son will drop down on the Spiegel a couple times. The last time we dived it in August the current was ripping so bad that we had to scale the wreck the entire time. That was the first time I had seen it that bad, all the way down at the bottom.

Pic for Attention :) (My Son)

39089019-1805199462867774-3864171862778970112-o.jpg

39100378-1805201706200883-2243046975278678016-o.jpg

So I have been reading some of the reports from Rainbow Reef and it seems lately there has been very little to no current. I have never dived the Spiegel this time of year, so my question is that is it usually pretty calm this time of year?

Or is it one of those things you just never know until you get there? Is there a link to a site I can look at the predicted current for the weekend?

Thanks for reading.

Quite a range

Lol. It really depends on the position of the edge of the Gulfstream. In the summer when it pushes in close...it’s flagpole time. That happens sporadically in the winter too, but seemingly not as often. This time of year it’s a crapshoot.

Gulfstream is currently 5nm off molasses...3nm off Craysfort. I’m gonna guess there’s current.

But there’s no current in the wreck.

Doesn't sound like the OP is qualified to be in the wreck. Ok fine, if you're diving inside the wreck and just using the line to get down and up. If you're a recreational diver touring the outside, you don't want to be there in 2 knots.

Gulfstream is currently 5nm off molasses...3nm off Craysfort. I’m gonna guess there’s current.

Yea we had some east winds come in and I bet that pushed the Gulf Stream in a bit, but it is supposed to let up before the weekend and Saturday is looking pretty calm. So I hope that pushed it back out a bit. I was gonna just dive it on Saturday I think. So hopefully it lays down, if it's too bad we will just do some reef dives. I just didn't know if it was a crapshoot, or if we were still considered winter weather. Thanks for the info.

Doesn't sound like the OP is qualified to be in the wreck. Ok fine, if you're diving inside the wreck and just using the line to get down and up. If you're a recreational diver touring the outside, you don't want to be there in 2 knots.

I have dived it about 15 times, just only once in my boat. The Spiegel is an easy wreck in my opinion, I am more worried about my son, even though I shouldn't be cause really he is a better diver than me lol (even though he has a lot less dives) He is already free diving to 70 feet and holding his breathe for 3.5 minutes.

But because of his age, obviously will be cautious.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom