Diving the Potomac River?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, Efrain, I go all over the world to do bizarre and exciting things. It would be really neat to do something like this in my own back yard. Do you know of a dive outfit that goes to the U 1105 site?

I'm a volunteer diver with the Institute for Maritime History, We stop in and dive the "steel fish" from time to time over the course of the diving season. The IMH has the contract to remove, replace and maintain the marker buoy. We always welcome new competent divers to dive with us. It happens to be a good recruiting tool for the other things the IMH does.

The boat used is the "The Ropper", a 32 feet steel trawler. I could keep you informed as to the next time we will be going out. It will probably be to remove trash and fishing line from the rec.

There are some dive friends who are talking about putting together a dive to this u-boat and the S-26 that is sunk in the Paxtuant River.

Cheers
Ef

Efrain, You beat me to the IMH reference. I dove the panther with them a few years ago when they were securing the mooring bouy. It was a lot of fun, but very challenging since we couldn't see anything and still had "work" to do.

Do you think there would be room on the boat for one more when you go to the S-26? I'd love to go. Thanks

Andrew

Thanks, Efrain and Oyster Diver. The IMH sounds like a really valuable and yet fun thing to be involved in. While I may not be competent enough yet to do some of the things you are doing, I find that by sometimes just observing and helping, I can learn a lot and become a better diver. How can I become involved? Is there a website I should check out. I'm sending you a PM with my email if you get a chance to drop me a note.

I'd be interested in the Black Panther or the S-Boat if somebody gets up a trip. I do know that Sea Dive down in Solomons has a contact that does the U-Boat.

As far as the upper Potomac, my one dive in National Harbor was great if you are in to 6" Vis.

DA who do you dive with in NC? I'm headed down there in late June, if I can get my secondary reg set up right, plan to do the U-352 with my RAM. Kind of a salute to George Purifoy, he once told me that the first dive on the U-Boat was a RAM.

Check out Sea Ventures dive shop in Northern Virginia. They have trips planned this summer to dive the U-1105.

The trip info is posted on their website.

Dave Howe is the ringleader for the Institute of Maritime History. They survey the Potomac and adjacent waterways most weekends weather depending. Here is the URL:Institute of Maritime History | reposcere - consevare - educare Diving the Panther is a study in low/Zero viz diving. I would recommend taking a low viz diving workshop before doing it. Adventure Scuba Company working with the Fairfax police dive team puts on a low viz class a couple of times a year.

They are a great bunch. I epitomize the camaraderie of the dive community.

Correction: They epitomize the camaraderie of the dive community..I just hang out with them when I have the time.

Hello All,

I know this is a old thread, but does anyone still dive down to the submarine ? I would like to make a dive trip to this wreck.

Thanks,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom