diving the N2intion 3 in cold water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Davidstealey3

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i dont know if anyone is using the new computer in cold water on a regular basis, but here is a problem i had last weekend with it.

1) i was on the bottom of the quarry and lost site of the wall, so i turned on the compass, and tried to get a east heading. i slowley turned around in a circle, and the compass stayed on a south heading. not a big deal though because i found the wall again after a couple minutes

2) while doing a deep stop yo blow off some n2, i watched the depth guage bounce around two feet at a time. now o know you are thinkin that my bouyancy was off, but i was holding onto the cables that went up to the platform. again this was not a big deal, just dont like having the asscent rate indicator beep at me when i know i am not moving

3) the tempture guage only said 48 degrees, but i know the temp on the bottom is really about 38

not that any of these was a hugh problem or a reason to call the dive, it just makes me wonder if the N2 uploading was accurate. i did the deep stop as a normal safety precaution because of the cold water and my training, thought i did not turn the deep stop function on in the computer.

just curious as to if anyone else had a problem like this, or if maybe the battery is dying on me allready. i must have about 50 dives on it by now, and a total of about 35 hours of use in the water. not sure how much time it was on out of the water, nor the life of the battery under normal use. i have not seen a low battery icon on the display screen yet.

if anyone has had an issue like this yet, let me know, or this is just a heads up for you to be aware of and look for. scott or gibby, if you know what might be going on here let me know somethig

I don't use the N2iTiON, but the manufacturer claims the battery to last for 3 years. I checked and the CR2032 lithium test sheet says that battery duration is approx 500 hours at 14 degrees F http://www.houseofbatteries.com/pdf/CPN-CR2032), so it seems unlikely that the battery is the problem. I'd return it to the Dive Shop or Zeagle.

The cold shouldn't alter the N2 loading or the compass.

Being that we are in Florida I personally didn't get a chance to test the units in cold water but I do know a spot were I can find some 50 degree water that Scott will be more than happy to jump into so he can check the temp gauge.:wink:

The compass should only act goofy if it isn't calibrated or its inside of something that shields magnetism. By chance did you try the compass after you surfaced?

The depth bouncing 2 feet isn't right. I can understand a foot if you were on the line but 2ft is too much. How deep were you when it was doing this?

I wouldn't worry too much about the temp gauge. They have always been notoriously inaccurate or slow to respond. In this case the N2ition has its temp gauge tucked in pretty deep so it is slow to change as it gets closer to the actual temperature. I think the water flow around the sensor must be fairly low or it would respond faster. In any case I'll drop mine into the beer cooler and see how long it takes to show close to 32 degrees. My prediction is that it will first drop fast then slow as it gets colder. In my neck of the woods it should just flash "REALLY COLD" after 40 degrees.

Finally I think it wouldn't hurt to send it in for a checkup.

i know the temp guage are allways known for being inaccurate, but this one has been preaty close for the most part.

as for depth of the "bounce" accurance i was at 88 feet once, and doing a deep stop at 40 feet on the way up.

now i did go out this past weekend, and it was doing this again at 30 feet and 15 feet. i will take blame for the 15 foot depth as to a little bit of bad bouyancy, but i laid on the platform at 30 just to see if was me or not, and it wasn't.

i would take it back to the dive shop to have it looked at, but we own the dive shop, and are a little confused as to why it does this. i looked over the total stats on the computer and it only has about 62 hours of use and about 80 dives on it, so i agree with the battery life argument.

i havr jeff leclaire comming up today to do a repair class for me and i will ask his oppinion, and make a decision after that. will keep everyone posted as to my discoveries

David -

Feel free to send the computer back to us, and we will check it out.

I haven't heard of anyone else having this issue, so hopefully it is just "one bad apple".

Computers are tricky little contraptions....

Thanks,

Scott

I think Scott just agreed to do the cold environment testing.

will do. i still have a little diving to do on it yet this year, but once i know i wont be doing any more deco dives, i will box it up and send it back

well my problems with the comp never seem to amaze me.

while trying out side mount at a demo day, the depth was jumping 4 feet. i looked over at my buddy, and he was still next to me. after the dive i said something to him about it and said we didnt go up and down 4 feet like that. after asking me what comp i was using i showed him and he siad if it was bought from them they would replace it. he was a DIVE RITE dealer.

next i did a dive yesterday and it registered i was in the water but did not turn on a 5 feet and log the dive. i was at 40 feet for about 25 minutes and the screen just said i was in the water and showed the time.

i am starting to think it is a problem with the pressure sensor. will drop it off in the mail to get fixed this week. just sucks cause now i will have no computer for a while

Like I said before, David, this isn't a problem I am familiar with.

Send the computer back to us with a detailed explanation of what it has been doing.

You can get an RA# by calling Customer Service at 813-782-5568.

Thanks,

Scott

probally send it out on tues or weds. i am baffled as to why it does what it does and just seems odd. i dont know if i have one of the first ones ( beta model. mine was purchsed at dema in 08 ) or just some little glitch. i know you guys will take care of it for me and really do appreciate it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom