Diving the Keys from my boat - need advice and information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been there, done that - 4 times now! First in our KeyWest 196 Bayreef and last trip in our 25 foot Cobia WA. LOVE having our own boat. Get up in AM, have coffee, walk the dog, and OFF WE GO! Fishing, diving, snorkeling - we get to go where WE want to , stop when we want, stay as long or as short as we want, etc. Get some good charts, and your GPS will help as well. Biggest issues is gulf side and close to shore with regards to depth issues. I've soft-grounded once, spun a prop once, but both times it was my inexperience that was to blame.

One day we even went 30+ miles off shore to the Marathon Humps (though I'd hesitate to do that in a pontoon - LOL)

Grey, whenever I'm in waters I'm not familiar with, I stick to the channels. If I have any doubts about someplace, I don't go there. I was in the USAF for many years flying as a crew member, and safety and backup systems are always first. Nothing is worth the risk. I'll always have other places to dive, or will go out with a charter and leave the boat moored at the dock. I wouldn't go out 30 miles off shore in the pontoon - not that it wouldn't make the trip, it's just that I can't predict what the weather would do, or if I had a problem I don't have 800' of anchor to drop down and the gulf stream would just sweep me away.

No, I'm happy blowing bubbles with the fish when I'm in 50' of water and < 10 miles off shore.

And there are TONS of sites less than 10 miles offshore down there from where you will be. Sombrero, Coffins, various shallower wrecks, etc. I think you'll have a blast taking down your own boat.

Grey, whenever I'm in waters I'm not familiar with, I stick to the channels. If I have any doubts about someplace, I don't go there. I was in the USAF for many years flying as a crew member, and safety and backup systems are always first. Nothing is worth the risk. I'll always have other places to dive, or will go out with a charter and leave the boat moored at the dock. I wouldn't go out 30 miles off shore in the pontoon - not that it wouldn't make the trip, it's just that I can't predict what the weather would do, or if I had a problem I don't have 800' of anchor to drop down and the gulf stream would just sweep me away.

No, I'm happy blowing bubbles with the fish when I'm in 50' of water and < 10 miles off shore.

Every time we've gone to the Keys it's been by car. We get there, see everybody out on the water in their boats and say to each other "Why don't we have out boat down here?!" or "Man, wouldn't it be great to have out boat down here?". Sitting on the shore watching others boating - while your boat is home - stinks.

Really hope we can make the trip with the boat, but am not going to risk life and limb over it.

No brainer for me.Going to spots with cattleboats coming and going or with a group of divers with unknown abilities and issues.I have less than a dozen out of thousands of dives on charters,the only ones I enjoyed were manatee diving with some SBers and with a few friends on the Native Diver here.

I can hit spots charters don't,dive my plan and not have to worry if someone else brings drama of any kind.I can leave at my convenience and return the same.I can change my plans at any time.I can spend quality time with my freinds and family.The list of advantages is endless.

My costs per dive per person including fuel,fills,food everything were less than 15$.Even diving mix I could spend less than $100 a day by bringing high pressure 02 and HE and having a shop fill over for me after we dove the sets we'd brought from home.

We rent an oceanside canal front home for less than a dive resort or hotel costs per night,we could not justify going the charter route unless it's far enough we have to fly there.

Oh, wait - did I read correctly that you are considering driving the BOAT from Ft. Myers to the Keys vs. trailering it?

Ergh . . . . yeah, I wouldn't do that. We always trailer - easier, quicker, safer, etc.

Every time we've gone to the Keys it's been by car. We get there, see everybody out on the water in their boats and say to each other "Why don't we have out boat down here?!" or "Man, wouldn't it be great to have out boat down here?". Sitting on the shore watching others boating - while your boat is home - stinks.

Really hope we can make the trip with the boat, but am not going to risk life and limb over it.

Oh, wait - did I read correctly that you are considering driving the BOAT from Ft. Myers to the Keys vs. trailering it?

Ergh . . . . yeah, I wouldn't do that. We always trailer - easier, quicker, safer, etc.

Yeah, guys are gonna take the boat down, girls are going to drive the car. That way we'll have a car to use. Will leave Ft. Myers around 0530, refuel at Marco Island then run over to Marathon. Depending on weather will either run straight over if water is flat, or hug the shore if 2'. More than 2' the boat stays home. Don't have a trailer.

MarcoMarathon.jpg

Last edited:
Not the best idea driving the boat over,the cost of a used trailer can't be a whole lot more than the gas for a 140 mile trip.

Then there's the fact those waters are about as remote as you can get in the continental US and that you're taking a pontoon boat.I watched a family of 8 don life jackets 20 miles out and have to hitch in on 2 kingfish boats when a small squall line broke theirs and it sunk in less than an hour.Even in my 20' CC I hardly noticed the waves the wrecked that boat,we just put on slickers for the rain and wind til it passed.

A pontoon boat over open from Ft. Myers to Marathon...... Come on now, don't you people know when you are getting your chain yanked!!!

Yeah, guys are gonna take the boat down, girls are going to drive the car. That way we'll have a car to use. Will leave Ft. Myers around 0530, refuel at Marco Island then run over to Marathon. Depending on weather will either run straight over if water is flat, or hug the shore if 2'. More than 2' the boat stays home. Don't have a trailer.

View attachment 179307
Not a good idea

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom