Diving the Great Barrier Reef; Looking for recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We are traveling to Australia in April and would like to dive the Great Barrier Reef. We are new to scuba with only 1 open water dive in a quarry. We are only half way through our NAUI certification dives but have completed the written tests and all the pool time. We are not looking for a live-aboard due to time constraints.

Can anyone recommend a tour operator who will both guide as well as watch over two neophytes?

Failing that, can you recommend an area that you have dived on the Great Barrier Reef that you liked?

Cairns is considered the gateway to the GBR and therefore has a lot of options.

If you don't want overnight then check here for some of the better day trips. All offer guides as optional guides and some (e.g. Silveswift) include them as standard for free.

Will you have completed your certification by the time you get here? I would recommend you do a referral but its all PADI or a bit of SSI here so this may not work.

If you don't have the certification completed look at Introductory dives. Again all day trip boats can assist with this. Your level of diving is fine and lots of folks come as first timers and similar situation so don't worry. Its very well managed.

Good evening,

Thank you so much for responding. I am checking out all of your suggestions. I will also make a point of telling my dive instructors to contact you should they know of anyone coming to dive in Australia. I will also put a post on Facebook advertising your company.

Thanks for that much appreciated. There is also a page on our web site that outlines my recommended trips for different levels of diver / snorkeler that may be of interest to you. See here.
We are on Facebook as well :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom