Diving the FL Panhandle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobsea43

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I expect it is getting a little late for diving the Panhandle but I am thinking of taking the RV over there next week for several days (or more) and looking for a recommendation in Panama City or in that area. I have Googled it and looked at the replies but none jumped out at me.
I have my gear and am an experienced diver. I normally dive between Jupiter and the Keys so little experience in the Panhandle.
Thanx for any suggestions - if I don't use them next week I use them next Summer!

It's not getting late at all, now through Oct is often nice in the Panhandle.

Thanx for any suggestions - if I don't use them next week I use them next Summer!

Because my family is looking to go back for spring break, I am also interested in other suggestions. That said, we did dive there this past August with Panama City Dive Center. My dive report can be found at Dive Report, PCB, PC Dive Center

@bobsea43 it is definitely not too late for panhandle diving, in fact arguably the best time for diving here is Aug-Nov. Last year in mid Nov. the water temp was still 72 and the current water temp is a balmy 85.

We had a very wet/rainy spring which mucked waters up pretty good for a lot of the summer but vis reports have been improving I believe and PCB being further east should be even a little better than Destin.

I've had good experience with Dive Locker in PCB and if the tides work you should try to do the St. Andrew Jetty as well.

But generally, this is a great time of year for diving the Panhandle!

Last edited:
If you're willing to go a bit further, there's also Destin and Pensacola. There's a huge number of dive sites off of Pensacola.

As we learned recently, one of the good things about diving in that area of the panhandle is that if you're planning to dive offshore and the weather doesn't cooperate, Vortex Springs and Morrison Springs are in close enough proximity to make a quick change in your dive plans. Plus, there's on-site camping at Vortex.

Thanks to this recent review of Scuba Tech in Destin from @sportxlh , I'm thinking of a Destin trip myself.

A stop at Vortex or Morrison on the way home is great for getting salt off the gear.

We have been using either Panama City Dive Center or Diver's Den.
Have had really good multiple outings with both.

In Panama City, I've had good experience with Divers Den too. I've also had good experiences with Panama City Diving. Divers Den's boat has a narrow beam so not so good in bumpy marine conditions but the crew is great. PCD has a small Newton that is comfortable and has an excellent crew. Most of the wrecks and bridge spans have Goliath grouper on them

I've made one trip to Gulf Shores AL and dove with Down Under. Vis is not as good this far west but the LuLu is a nice wreck with resident Goliath Grouper and bull shark(s). Down Under has a big Newton

Scuba Tech in Destin is great as pointed out by others. Destin actually has natural reefs and isn't only about wrecks. The reefs are not miles and miles long like in Jupiter but are measured in 100's of yards. Some have amazing bio diversity and nudibranch hunters will find lots of success. There are also a lot of Blue Heron Bridge - like critters such as bat fish, sea robins, mantis shrimp, etc.

Last edited:
OP, if wrecks are your preference than PCB or Pensacola are probably better. And with the weather we've had this year I'd probably stay further east in PCB.

However, if natural reefs are your preference than Destin has several excellent sites that as @sportxlh points out have an incredible variety of marine life, Whitehill being the most notable.

Or you could do a little of both, the drive between Destin and PCB is only around an hour.

If you decide to give Destin a shot, definitely give ScubaTech a call, they are an excellent op.

. . .
Scuba Tech in Destin is great as pointed out by others. Destin actually has natural reefs and isn't only about wrecks. The reefs are not miles and miles long like in Jupiter but are measured in 100's of yards. Some have amazing bio diversity and nudibranch hunters will find lots of success. There are also a lot of Blue Heron Bridge - like critters such as bat fish, sea robins, mantis shrimp, etc.

That's what caught my attention in your review. I did a couple of dives years ago in Destin, but we saw nothing like that. If I book with Scuba Tech, I plan to specifically let them know that the small critters, nudis, etc., are what I'm after.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom