Diving the "deep reefs" at Looe Key?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I've been to Looe Key several times, always diving the spur and groove formations that max out at about 35'- 40'. Fantastic fish and coral life. I have a guidebook to Keys diving that describes this area that most (all?) dive charters visit, but the book also lists an area in deeper water (35' - 100') that they refer to as the Looe Key Intermediate and Deep Reefs. I'm interested in diving these deeper waters to view barrel sponges and other critters. I don't recall seeing any mooring balls in deeper water, and have never seen boats outside the shallow zone. Questions: do dive operators visit the deep reefs at Looe Key? Which ones? Are there mooring balls there in case I choose to rent a boat and tackle these on my own? Anybody care to share your experience on these deeper sites? Any info at all? Many thanks.

I haven't worked my boat out there since 2002, so maybe things have changed. But last I knew...

There are a couple intermediate reef balls on the west side, and I believe there's a single deep reef ball. All of these mooring balls are distanced further off from the main "cluster", but except for a couple? they should all be within the SPA boundaries.

In the summertime even these mooring balls get boats on them. Sometimes freedivers use the intermediate sites.

I've done a few dives on the deep side and I would say that you can have an hour with beautiful reef and plentiful fish, or a shorter bottom time with less to look at. It's OK, but really nothing to write home about, the shallow stuff is way prettier.

Rachel

I did a deep reef off of key largo to 55' and it was fantastic. Lots of eel, sponge, and darker corals.

-V

biscuit7:
I've done a few dives on the deep side and I would say that you can have an hour with beautiful reef and plentiful fish, or a shorter bottom time with less to look at. It's OK, but really nothing to write home about, the shallow stuff is way prettier.

Rachel
And of course your boat goes out them, Rachel?

biscuit7:

Rachel

We were out at one of the deeper reefs, 70' or so, last week and I would have to agree. There was little to see, I was disappointed after the description I was given by the captain. I didn't see anything worth taking a picture.

ctmax:
We were out at one of the deeper reefs, 70' or so, last week and I would have to agree. There was little to see, I was disappointed after the description I was given by the captain. I didn't see anything worth taking a picture.

Who did you dive with? What operator?

Alex

AlexRodriguez:
Who did you dive with? What operator?

Alex
Abyss Dive Center. Next trip I will spend most of my time diving in Key Largo with Key Largo Brent at Blue Water Divers. We tried to drop in on the thunderbolt wreck but the folks at the Abyss Dive Center couldn't (wouldn't) make it happen while we were there.

I agree with the others. The deep reefs at Looe Key are not nearly as pretty as the shallow reefs. If you're looking for a deeper dive in the proximity of the Looe Key, you might want to check out the wreck of the Adolphus Busch. This wreck that was sunk in 1998 ... and is very close to the Looe Key Marine Sanctuary. There are a couple operators on Big Pine or Ramrod keys that offer trips to the Busch followed by dives at the Sanctuary. Good luck.

Of course I go out to the deep side if anyone wants to go, but I don't necessarily recommend it. There are some 50-60' reefs out of the sanctuary that are kind of cool, but for maximum enjoyment the shallow stuff is where it's at unless it's one of those days when all the big boats have dumped all their people in the water and it's ridiculously crowded, then I'm more likely to go off the beaten path.

Rachel

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom