Diving the Blue Hole-Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was on Caye Caulker, Belize last year. It was ok but the dive shop I used was a horror. If interested see my post of last November.

Anyhow I am interested in diving the Blue Hole and was wondering about the logistics of getting there. When I went to Caye Caulker last year I flew into the Belize International Airport from Newark (via Houston) and then took Tropic Air to Caye Caulker.

Was wondering where I would fly to from Belize International Airport to get within closest proximity to the Blue Hole and a place that has decent hotels? Seems it would be Lighthouse Reef.

Or are there are other locations that would be recommended? I understand the Blue Hole is 3 hours (each way) from Belize City so I would like to be closer to the Blue Hole if possible. Or maybe I can get some recommendations for dive boats that are suited for long rides?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Sy

Well, between Belize City and the Blue Hole there is pretty much...water. :) There are several small resorts on Turneffe atoll which is about halfway out, I'd say one of those is your best option. I think there is only the one place on Lighthouse and it's been closed for a while - saw some rumor about it reopening sometime but who knows. I think all transfers are by boat. but you'd only have to do it once then you'd be out there. Don't know if there are seaplane charters or anything.

Personally I wouldn't organize my whole vacation around the Blue Hole, but I'm one of the many folks who feel it's not what the marketing people make it out to be. But the other diving out there is worth being there for anyway.

You might also consider a liveaboard, the Aggressor or Dancer. AFAIK the Nekton doesn't do the Blue Hole.

Please give the URL for your earlier post. I can think of dive shops on CC and AC that are not "a horror" and will take you to the BH. Because of tourist numbers you'll find it much easier to get there from one of these cayes than from anywhere else.

Hell! I enjoyed the "Chicken Drop" on a Wednesday in AC better than I did the Blue Hole!!

Wonder if it's still a-happenin'?

If you land in CC mind those no-see-ums. That walk from the airstrip to the beach was awful.

Seadeuce

Thanks for your candid comments.

I really do think that there is lots of hype in the "Travel Business" .

What was your experience like at the Blue Hole.

Thanks,

Sy

Damselfish:
Well, between Belize City and the Blue Hole there is pretty much...water. :) There are several small resorts on Turneffe atoll which is about halfway out, I'd say one of those is your best option. I think there is only the one place on Lighthouse and it's been closed for a while - saw some rumor about it reopening sometime but who knows. I think all transfers are by boat. but you'd only have to do it once then you'd be out there. Don't know if there are seaplane charters or anything.

Personally I wouldn't organize my whole vacation around the Blue Hole, but I'm one of the many folks who feel it's not what the marketing people make it out to be. But the other diving out there is worth being there for anyway.

You might also consider a liveaboard, the Aggressor or Dancer. AFAIK the Nekton doesn't do the Blue Hole.

There are a zillion threads on this board where people discuss their experiences and opinions of the Blue Hole. Some appear at the bottom of this page and if you search for "Blue Hole" you will find a bunch more. My take is that it's a waste of dive time, granted it is unique but it's a very short dive with little to see. I only did it because I was on a liveaboard and it was either do that dive or not dive that morning. The best diving in Belize is out in that area and I would much prefer to spend my time doing that.

As someone on this board pointed out, ever notice all the pictures of the Blue Hole are a cool shot from the air, and not underwater?

peterbj7:
Please give the URL for your earlier post. I can think of dive shops on CC and AC that are not "a horror" and will take you to the BH. Because of tourist numbers you'll find it much easier to get there from one of these cayes than from anywhere else.
I think he means this one: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=168799

The Blue hole to me, was interesting to see, but not something I am in a hurry to go back and see again any time soon. Being a cave diver, I enjoy the beauty of rock formations, and could appreciate what I was looking at. However, with that being said, most of the people that are down there diving are there to see the pretty coral and pretty fish. Not a whole lot of that going on down there.

It is a silly bounce dive on too small tanks to see underwater features that are much better seen in the partially flooded cenotes and connecting cave on the mainland. I don't want to do it again. I am doing Yucatan cenotes again in 3 weeks.
bananawaves.gif

DandyDon:
It is a silly bounce dive on too small tanks to see underwater features that are much better seen in the partially flooded cenotes and connecting cave on the mainland.

All a matter of opinion, of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom