Diving the Blue Hole-Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lighthouse reef resort is due to open in Nov. you will be able to fly to the island via Tropic Air.

Just returned yesterday from 9 nights on San Pedro. Did 13 dives, 10 on the barrier reef and a blue hole trip. I was pretty hesitant about the blue hole dive given the many negative reviews I've seen on this board. However, I was thrilled with the dive. Seems to me that attitude reflects some of the responses. If you dive the blue hole it needs to be with an interest and attention to geology as opposed to biology (fish, fauna, coral) that we most often attend to. The stalactites were fantastic, much bigger than I had anticipated; I wasn't quite ready for the thermacline at 120, but after a short bit I didn't notice much.

As others often mention, the 2 wall dives that follow the blue hole are magnificent. The reefs are really lush and abundant with coral and fishes.

I stayed at "the tides" and dove with Patojos on the island, and went with Amigos to the Blue Hole. All were excellent, though I admit to getting a bit annoyed with several dives to tacklebox during our time at the tides. I don't know what the solution is when there are training dives going out with certified divers (not diving together, but going to the same site) because it seems to make the dive locations dependent on the least skilled almost every trip out.

We'll head back to San Pedro next year, I want to dive Turneffe and my partner wants to try the blue hole next time, so it'll be a blast.

Dave

Glad polysemous1 enjoyed the diving here. He chose one of the better dive centers (though none are bad) but his experience of boats dominated by students is unfortunate. We always try to separate students from experienced divers and send them out at different times, though when visitor numbers are low this isn't always economically practicable. No reason to go to the same site more than a couple of times though.

The BH is a strange dive. I'm one of the people who suggest it's only barely worth doing, and a lot of people seem to agree with me, but then someone like you comes along and loves it! So long as people realise what they're letting themselves in for and don't go thinking it's just another fun dive then I don't have a problem with that.

I personally loved the blue hole, I rank it in my top 25 dives and that includes GBR liveaboards, lighthouse reefs, Cozumel, Turks and Caicos, etc...

If your looking for bright color and pretty fish, the BH isn't for you, but for awe inspiring giant formations, this is a pretty cool and unique dive. If you're a cave diver you probably have seen more interesting stuff, but I would reccomend this dive to the average diver who has never seen this sort of thing everytime.

Just an opinion of course,
john

In the BH the "meat effect" of having sharks circling above and below was pretty cool. An 8 minute safety stop was unnecessary, but tons of fun with the sharks cruising by...and my dive buddy was a marine biology grad student, so I got tons of insite from her as well.

I didn't want to overly complain about students, since I know the economics of the situation, and my partner doesn't have a lot of dive experience so it was generally ok, as I said, we'll be back next year so it was all good. We're getting to know people on the island, and that's cool...it's also nice to know which restaurants to go to and when the beach bar-b-que's are etc...And of course, Butch, the bartender at the Tides is simply the best.

Dave

If you guys don't mind me asking, where did you all stay when you went to Belize?
I've heard: liveaboard, main land, and then on a small island off of main land.
:confused: Thanks for the help!!

-Becky

We stay at the Tides on Ambergris. A small Inn with a diveshop, though I've heard their pier was washed away in Dean, I don't think that will stop them from diving. It's a very good local diveshop and Inn.

We plan to go to Turneffe the next time we go down...some serious diving before settling back into Ambergris for a few days. Though my sweety who just certified and did her first 10 dives in Belize is talking about a week on a live-aboard. So there are tons of options it depends on what you want when you are not diving.

Good luck, great to hear that AC came through without catastrophe.

Best,

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom